28: A Dreaded Detention

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

            "THIS ISN'T NORMAL, DANE. I'M worried about you. One minute you're happy and the next you're falling apart."

Cedric had managed to corner Dana and drag her along to dinner with him one evening. She had been on her way back from Quidditch practice, trying her best to avoid bumping into anyone who may prevent her from sleeping for the remainder of the day. Having failed miserably, she walked along with her brother, following the strong wafts of rich beef stew which drifted down the corridors.

When Dana wasn't sleeping, she spent her spare time hiding up in the Astronomy Tower with a book, hoping not to be found there. She had taken to doing this most days now— particularly if she saw Dark Arts on her timetable. She just wanted to be left alone, to fade into the background like a wallflower.

Cedric pushed her further when Dana continued on in silence, "Just talk to me, will you? Mum said you've been ignoring her letters too, you can't just avoid everyone forever—"

"What about you, Cedric? You think I haven't noticed that you've been acting all secretive lately?" she bit back, her temper getting the better of her. "Why are we pretending I'm the only one with problems here?"

"I'm just... trying to work some stuff out." Cedric replied furtively, but she couldn't understand what he meant by it.

They passed by the Entrance Hall and arrived for dinner a few minutes later. It was the first time Dana had seen the staff table fully occupied in a long time and she came to a halt. Remus had rarely been making appearances at mealtimes and she only ever saw him on the off chance that they crossed paths between lessons.

He was speaking to Professor Sprout, chuckling at something whilst grazing over his food. Dana felt the sickness overcome her again. She had hoped seeing him would've become easier by now, but somehow it only grew worse. When he noticed her at the doors, his laughter faded and he lowered his fork.

Dana swallowed back the lump in her throat and turned to face Cedric.

"Changed my mind. Not so hungry after all." she muttered, the hurt which she had been avoiding like the plague slowly creeping back up on her. "I'm sorry, Ced. I'll see you later."

❊❊❊

"You got detention again tonight?" Lilith cocked her head, chewing her pen as they studied for Transfiguration up in the library.

"Yep. Last one, thank Merlin." Dana muttered in response.

To her despair, the long week of detentions with Snape had proved to be even more brutal than what she had initially expected. She spent each night scrubbing out jars of rotting dragon livers and pickled slugs without magic, all under his watchful eye. It was far from pleasant.