30: The Dinner and Dance

CHAPTER THIRTY❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER THIRTY
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

THE DAY OF THE THE DINNER PARTY eventually arrived and Dana had been dragged around Hogsmeade like a rag doll for the duration of Saturday morning in an attempt to help Lilith find an outfit. The soles of her feet were just beginning to blister when they entered Gladrags Wizardwear.

"What do you think Oliver will like? Slutty or sensible?" Lilith fretted, pursing her lips as the bell chimed on the shop door.

The place was claustrophobic. A swarm of young witches all skimmed through the endless range of dresses and the poor shop assistant struggled to keep up with them, making various alterations both by wand and hand.

Dana cracked a smirk, "If you really want to get him going, you can borrow my Quidditch uniform."

"Why didn't I think of that sooner? This is what happens when you're always too busy to hang out with me." said Lilith. She searched along the racks, pulling out a yellow gown. "So. You and Patrick tonight, huh?"

"Just as mates, nothing else." Dana told her for the umpteenth time, distracted by an unusual collection of novelty socks lined on one wall, each decorated in an ugly flashing pattern.

Given that Paddy was more than aware of Dana's situation with Remus, he had taken the idea of them both attending the dance together as a stroke of genius. A niggling feeling told her that this also had something to do with his keenness to one-up Cedric after breakfast last week, but she couldn't complain. In fact, she was too busy dreading the whole ordeal to pay it much thought.

A mighty forty minutes, two fittings and seven galleons later, the two girls set foot back out into the pleasant morning sunshine. Dana untucked her hair out from underneath her leather jacket and breathed in the fresh air, relieved to be outside again.

"Fancy a quick pint before heading back to the castle?" Lilith suggested at long last, and Dana felt as though she had practically read her mind.

❊❊❊

That evening, Dana hurried off down the moving staircases and raced along the cold flagstones, the irritatingly long length of her dress whipping beneath her bare feet. She only just managed to arrive on the outskirts of the courtyard a little after half past six, and she let the pair of heels in her hand fall to the ground in a clatter.

"Buggering tits." Dana shoved them on in a poor effort, panting. "Sorry I'm late."

Patrick stood waiting for her, slightly stunned with his sleeve rolled up as though he had just been checking his watch. He was dressed in a set of fancy robes with his hair slicked back.