25: Drink, Drank, Drunk

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

     EVER SINCE THE NEWS SPREAD THAT Cedric and Ada had broken up, Patrick was in better spirits than Dana had seen him in all year. She was pretty sure this was because he'd finally managed to get his best friend out of Ada's vice-like grip, but it was simply just a relief that he was in a better mood than he had been in recently.

Both she and Paddy traipsed through Hogsmeade on Saturday night, passing by the frost glazed windows of village shops and cafés. Although they were closed up for the evening, the low lights were all left on, leaving a pleasant glimmer to illuminate the darkness which had fallen over the old cobbled street.

Despite the late hour, it was fairly busy out, and there was a low buzz of energy surrounding them as most wizards and witches headed off in the direction of the Three Broomsticks. It was advertised on their last visit that there would be live music on that night and all students in their sixth and seventh year were permitted to go. Naturally, being such music lovers, Dana had begged Paddy to go with her immediately after finding out and he didn't hesitate to oblige.

Cedric had his Apparition test the following day and Lilith was being Lilith (which meant she would be up in the library all night studying hard), so it was just the two of them. Dana had reservations about this initially, considering Patrick was still acting a little unusual around her, but decided it would be a good chance to talk to him.

"Can we address the elephant in the room?" 

"El-e-foot?" Paddy responded, sounding both confused and distracted. "In case you haven't noticed, Dane, we're outside."

Dana tucked her hands into her leather jacket to block out the cold, trying not to let her impatience show.

"Muggle saying, never mind." she waved him off. "I just mean... it's been pretty awkward lately. Me and you don't do awkward. Even Ced and Lil know something's up."

Patrick smirked to himself wryly, "Cedric doesn't know shit. The boy's clueless— on more things than one. Come on, let's get inside, it's baltic out here."

The bell chimed as they pulled open the door to the Three Broomsticks, the instant heat flushing their cheeks. It was packed out, a mixture of students and older wizards chatting around the pub, waiting for the live music to start. It smelled distinctly of smoke and the spices of whisky, something that Dana had always been fond of.

The band were already setting up their instruments on the stage, dressed in the most extravagant robes Dana had ever seen. The material was an iridescent satin, flaring out towards the hem by their shiny white pointed shoes. Each wore a different colour of round sunglasses, and they screamed eighties disco— rather like a muggle band that Remus had once told her about. She couldn't remember if it had been ABBA or the Bee Gees.