29: A Friend's Advice

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

MARCH PASSED BY IN A BLUR OF blistering dark nights and even rainier days. On the outside, Hogwarts remained grey with little change to the often unpredictable Scottish weather, making the chilling presence of the Dementors all the more noticeable.

The same couldn't be said for the mood within the castle itself. News of the upcoming dinner party had spread like wildfire between the students of the school and was the sole source of gossip all month. By the time it was only a week away, Dana was sick to death of hearing about it.

"You two still not found dates yet?" Lilith asked both of the boys one morning as she joined them all at the Hufflepuff table.

She'd been in a giddy mood all week since Oliver had asked her to go with him, which came as no surprise to them. Dana had caught them both warming up to each other on several occasions during their leisurely strolls after Arithmancy Club and had been waiting for Ollie to pluck up the courage to finally ask her out.

"Ced's got a date, haven't you?" Paddy answered, shortly. He sipped at his coffee as though it were very bitter and Cedric gave him a testing look.

"Who?" Dana asked him.

Cedric shrugged his shoulders, "I asked Cho Chang."

Paddy then let out a puff of air in apparent amusement, quite clearly aggravated by this. Obviously he was just jealous that he hadn't yet found a date of his own to go with. Either way, Dana was simply relieved that her brother wasn't going with the likes of Ada Marshall— who was currently staring daggers at them all from a few metres away up the table.

A large swarm of miniature paper aeroplanes like those used in the Ministry zoomed passed Dana's ear, undoubtedly sending more date requests to lovers around the school. She blew a strand of hair out of her face in irritation, taking a bite of toast.

"What about you, eh? I hear you've got yourself a group of admirers, including half the Slytherin Quidditch team." Cedric directed at Dana, catching her attention once more.

She gathered a forkful of her scrambled eggs and flung them at him. He wasn't wrong. Dana had been asked by a few people already, but she wasn't interested. Screw Dumbledore's rules, she'd go alone.

"Speak of the devils— I think someone's about to try and slyther-in again." Paddy winked to her, signalling behind them all as someone began catcalling from afar.

It took only seconds to realise who he was referring to, along with the rest of the Great Hall.

"Oi, Diggory!" bellowed a raspy voiced male over by the Slytherin table. "How's about you ditch those loser mates and brother of yours and join us?"