34: A Big Decision

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

"MY GOD, DANA. I SAID GET UP."

The red velvet curtains of Dana's four poster were ripped back on Monday morning, startling her awake at once. She sat up and blinked away the initial bleariness of daylight to see that utter chaos had broken out in the dormitory, with girls running wild in every direction.

Just as she geared up to fight whoever had disturbed her, a pillow hit her square in the face.

"Christ, Lilith—"

"Have you like totally forgotten what day it is or something?" Lilith asked, hands on her hips.

Dread hit Dana like a brick wall.

The first day of exams. She suddenly felt very sick.

In no time at all, she forced herself up and jumped into the running shower, letting the initially icy water trickle off her still warm with sleep skin. Using an arm to wipe the steam from the mirror, Dana pulled her damp hair back into a low knot, her sluggish movements reflected back at her. She looked tired. A knock on the door sounded, and she left the bathroom.

Breakfast that morning was an unsettling affair. Most students were completely in their own heads and an uncommon quiet hung around the Hall. Four even triangles of peanut butter on toast sat on Dana's plate and she silently debated whether or not to attempt getting down at least one slice when a silver owl skidded right along the length of Gryffindor table.

The whip of air made her jump and Edwin waddled closer, trying to steal the outstretched toast in her hand. A chunky stack of Mail was tied to his leg.

"Couldn't you have picked another day to give me a heart attack?" Dana chastised, untying the letters which were now smudged with peanut butter. "Hey— quit the pecking. Got no treats on me, but feel free to steal some of Lil's cereal."

Taking full advantage, Edwin dived forward and tipped over the bowl of dry Cheeri Owls, spilling them everywhere and gobbling a few down. Lilith, who had been forcing an exhausted looking Patrick to quiz her on Potions one last time, whined loudly in protest.

Dana opened the string of 'good luck' cards, surprised to find so many. One from her parents, another from her distant grandmother, even a handmade card from Mrs Weasley. When she neared the bottom of the pile, a partially burnt envelope with a foreign stamp in the corner caught her eye. Dana tore it open.

Dear Dana,

How's the studying going? I hear from my thousands of siblings (lost track of how many mum and dad are on now) that you won the Quidditch cup! Congrats.