23: Celebrations for Gryffindor

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE ❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

       AS THE FOLLOWING WEEKS FLEW BY, life became busier than ever.

Dana pulled her scarf closer to her in the chilly courtyard, reading Treasure Island again for what must have been the sixth time. It was one of her favourites and was practically falling apart at the seams, a few loose pages stuffed messily into the front that had long since broke off.

Lilith was poised on the bench beside her, squinting and running a finger along a row of Ancient Runes symbols, with Cedric sat just across from her on the brick wall. It was quiet. Too quiet, for Dana's liking.

On the other side of the courtyard, Paddy stood amongst a small crowd of Hufflepuffs under the curved archway, his hands slouched inside a black bomber jacket. A thin, lit roll up was tucked between his teeth and he took a long drag, letting the smoke rise in billows around the huddle of smokers. His dark blue eyes flashed over to hers for just a few seconds before looking away again, continuing his conversation with Cedric's friend, Kyle Dunne.

The water from the fountain trickled into the bay of water loudly, no longer frozen as it had been the previous week. She quite fancied a cigarette herself, but refrained from joining out of sheer stubbornness. If he was going to act off with them all then she had no issue doing the very same to him.

"He's doing it again." Lilith tutted, jotting down another Runes translation.

Dana withdrew her gaze from the smokers, pursing her lips as she turned back to Lilith, "Who's doing what?"

Lilith sharply inclined her head back over to Patrick.

"Him. He's been acting weird for weeks. You've seriously not noticed?" she questioned, face screwed up.

"Well, course. But it's just Paddy." Dana said, curling over the browning page of her book. "He's probably pining after some girl who's turned him down or something."

Cedric scoffed from beside them and Dana flicked her head over to him, "Got something to say, brother?"

He rolled his eyes without looking up from today's edition of the Daily Prophet.

"For two people who are so smart, you can both be really dumb sometimes, you know." Cedric shook his head, returning back to reading the newspaper.

❊❊❊

"Guys, I would like your whole hearted attention, if you please!" announced Oliver, broomstick in hand as he began his big team speech on Saturday morning before the long awaited Ravenclaw match. "This is huge. Like fucking huge. You all know how much this means to me— us, sorry— and we really might win this game."