22: Long Nights

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO ❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

            "DANA." REMUS GLANCED UP FROM his desk, hair a little messier than usual. He looked exhausted as he marked a hefty stack of homework. "Is everything alright? I wasn't expecting you tonight."

Dana had wordlessly entered his classroom and approached his desk. His confusion quickly grew into that of concern and he frowned up at her.

Now she was there, it struck her that she hadn't the slightest clue what she was actually planning to say. Tell him the full story? Explain that Sirius Black might actually be innocent? It sounded downright crazy and she was quite convinced he would think she had lost the plot. Besides, Dana had made a promise. It had to be kept a secret— at least for now.

"Can we go somewhere?" she blurted out, thinking on her feet.

Remus held her gaze for a few moments and then set aside his quill. Without asking questions, he retrieved his wand and locked away his work in the nearby cabinet, indicating with a tilt of his head toward the door for Dana to follow him out just minutes later.

Together, they travelled up the moving staircases until they reached the staff quarters. At one point, Dana started to worry that Remus was lacking in caution as he hurried through the castle, leading her with his hand. Then she spotted the Marauders Map in his other fist and realised he had been keeping an eye on the corridors. Thank god, she hardly fancied risking another run in with Snape.

Remus's bedchambers were exactly as Dana had remembered from her brief visit on New Year's Eve. Warm, cosy and cluttered, with a scattering of rogue books and old newspapers. It seemed to hold the same calming ambience of which the library did and she felt strangely at ease there.

Her eyes followed Remus as he walked over to the countertop. The kettle was already heating up on the stove and he began prepping a pot of tea.

"I need to ask you something." she said at last, wringing her hands together as she started to pace the tiny kitchenette back and forth.

Remus continued to stir in milk and sugar with a silver teaspoon as he spoke, "Always."

"Sirius Black." she stated firmly, coming to a halt. She watched closely to gauge his reaction. "You knew him, Remus."

The spoon clattered against the rim of the cup. Dana could tell it was far from what he had been expecting to hear.

"I believe that was more of a statement rather than a question." he eventually spoke up, attempting to recollect himself.