32: SURPRISE!

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

  APRIL WAS SHORT AND SWEET. Peach coloured blossom whipped around in the Spring breeze, the sun beginning to peak out from the clouds and radiate the previously chilly grounds so that most students took to studying out in the courtyards rather than being cooped up in the dark and stuffy castle all day long.

Over the Easter holidays, Dana and Cedric remained at Hogwarts along with the majority of other N.E.W.T. students, making the most of the extra peace and quiet whilst they all tirelessly worked away. Their usual reckless fun may have been replaced by endless library sessions, but no matter how inundated with homework Dana was, she felt better than she had done in months.

"I can't find my bloody jumper—"

"— My wand, Dana, where's my wand?"

The day of the highly anticipated Quidditch Cup Final had arrived and everyone in the whole school was raring for it, regardless of what house they were in. Knowing that this was both Dana and Oliver's only remaining chance to win it, the pressure was all the more intense, especially considering they were up against the Slytherins.

For the past half an hour, Dana had been frantically running around Remus's bedchambers, having been spending more and more nights together now as summer crept closer and the end of Dana's final year loomed. It would seem that neither of them wanted to be the first to bring this prospect up, afraid of bursting the fragile bubble of happiness they had both eventually managed to form.

Already running late for the team meeting downstairs, she hurriedly slung on a brown jumper she'd found folded over the chair whilst Remus dashed the dregs of their now stone cold tea down the sink, adding to the mountain of mugs that had stacked up over the past two days.

Dana then spun around and came to an abrupt halt in front of Remus who was now fully dressed and waiting for her. A gift was outstretched in the palm of his hand and he was smiling that stupid bloody smile that made her go soft.

Funnily enough, the 30th of April wasn't just the date of the Quidditch Cup Final—

"Happy birthday." said Remus, and Dana gave him a look, cocking her head to one side. "I know you were hoping I'd somehow miraculously forget, but we both knew that wasn't going to happen."

She tentatively accepted the small brown package, trying to look pleased. The truth was, Dana knew well enough that Remus had little money to support himself, and the thought of him spending any of it on her just didn't sit right.

"You lied." Dana chided him lightly, her eyes narrowed. "You told me you hated birthdays."

Remus scoffed, "Yes, my own. Am I not allowed to enjoy the birthday of the woman I lo—?"