19: Tension

CHAPTER NINETEEN❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER NINETEEN
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

       "I'M EXHAUSTED. JUST GIVE ME A minute to catch my breath."

"Would you say that to an opponent in a real fight?" Remus questioned. Dana groaned, hands on her knees.

The two of them had been duelling for the past twenty minutes without a moment's break and she could hardly think anymore with all the spells that clogged her brain. Over a month had passed since Christmas, and things had settled back down. Well, sort of.

Dana had gotten into a very long winded argument with her mother through a set of Howlers. They came each morning, and Dana sent one back in return each night. It wasn't over anything in particular this time, but it had been going on for a whole week. As always, Lyra continued to ask why she couldn't be more like her brother— her golden boy— and she'd had enough of hearing it now.

Lupin sent another spell soaring toward her and Dana blocked it with her hand. 

"Potrificus Totalus!" she yelled back. Remus blocked that, too.

Jinxes flew back and forth between them until a flash of light eventually hit Dana's chest, sending her backwards. Though she didn't care to admit it, she was no match for Remus. It was practically effortless to him, like his body reacted to magic before his mind even could. He walked over and extended out a hand to help her up. Dana took it, but let go the second she was standing.

He gave her that look, like something was funny.

"What?" she demanded.

"I didn't say anything." he held up his hands.

"You didn't have to."

She turned away, but Remus took hold of her wrist, gently drawing her back to face him.

"What's wrong?" he frowned. "You're not yourself today."

"When have you ever cared?"

"That's hardly fair, Dana."

He was right, it wasn't, but she didn't really care right now. She took a seat on the edge of a chair, facing away.

"She's wrong, you know." Remus spoke again a few moments later. "You should ignore what she says."

Great, thought Dana. So the whole school really had heard all of her mother's insults. She got back up.

"Just leave it, Lupin. I'm fine."

Dana checked her watch. It was almost five o'clock, and the Gryffindors were hosting the first big party of the year in just a few hours time. When she told him she had to go, he exhaled, as though annoyed at himself. Dana made her way back up to Gryffindor Tower and entered her dormitory.