Chapter 1 - Reunited Once More

Over in the booth, Cory and Tara sit together. Everyone can't help but smile at the sight that Cory is home permanently.

"I can't believe you're here! Like, for real, are you here to stay? Or are you just trying to fool us again?" Tara asks, refusing to let go.

Cory, still nearly out of breath from the embrace that sent them crashing onto the floor, replies, "No, I am home for good. My body is still healing, and I hurt like something awful."

That's when Tara sees she left him in pain at the expense of instant gratification. First, she slightly hunkers in the seat. Then, she tilts her head to relax on Cory's shoulder.

"Who cares? You are home! I was lost for days when I heard what had happened. Rick here barely slept and didn't leave for the longest time," says as Rick blushes.

"Yeah, I mean, yeah, we um, had our differences back in the day. But, that being left back then, you are still like my brother. I love ya like one, Core. These people here didn't give up on me. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them and Kay's parents." Rick says as he wipes away a tear in the corner of his eye.

Their server gives them a few more minutes to catch up before he makes himself known. Then, when he makes his way over to the table, he flips his notepad open.

"Hello again, my name is Gabriel. I'll be your server, gentlemen. Another round, ladies? Gentlemen, what can I get for you?" The African American male asks with his light blue-colored eyes locked on Cory.

"I'll have a Pepsi," Rick orders.

"I'll take the same, thank you, sir," Cory says.

"Done, now do we know what we would like to eat, or are we just enjoying drinks this evening?"

"Give us a few moments, please. My son just arrived home from the service," Lorrie announces, thrilled about her son being home.

Signaled with a nod, Gabriel walks away with a smirk.

"Nice guy, but a little weird if you ask me," Olivia mentions, then sip her drink.

Out of nowhere, Tara gives Cory another tight squeeze, and he cries out in pain all over again. Finally, she releases her grip, and Cory falls to his side, holding his ribs.

"Cory! I am so sorry!" Tara cries out a hand over her mouth.

"It's okay, Tara. I'm going outside to get some air. I'm not mad, I promise, but I need some air."

Rick helps Cory from his seat and accompanies him outside. When the door shuts behind them, Cory leans against the wall trying to get in a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" Rick asks.

"It hurts like a son of a bitch. I know that Tara didn't mean to do it, but my body is thrashed."

Cory checks to make sure the coast is clear and lifts his shirt, and Rick is shocked to see the bandages around Cory's torso. Unfortunately, Cory can't keep his shirt up for long, thanks to the pain pulsing through his body, and drops his shirt.

Back inside, Tara feels terrible, and it shows on her face.

"Sweetheart, you didn't mean to hurt him. Cory's going to be hurting for a little while. So maybe it's best if you try to contain yourself for a bit. We're all excited he's home, but Cory needs time to heal and figure things out. He went through Hell, and I'm sure of that much," Olivia says.

After wiping away a few tears, Tara nearly curls her knees to her chest when Cory and Rick return to the table.

"Are you okay?" Lorraine asks.