Chapter 15 - Go

While in a deep sleep, Cory finds excitement in a dream. Deep in his mind, Cory is far away and alone. His Celica is speeding alongside another dark sports car as the adrenaline pumps through his body. The sound of the turbocharged engine spooling and a death grip on the steering wheel makes Cory feel like he is there in the moment. There's no music, only tunnel vision fueling the dream until a bright light flashes, bringing Cory out of the dream.

"Hey, good morning, sunshine. Did I disturb a good dream?" Tara asks, then takes a seat at her desk.

"Um, yeah, it was a good dream, but you didn't ruin anything. I was dreaming that I was in this intense race. My car was barely in the lead with nothing else around us," Cory tells her with a smile as evidence.

A rather odd idea strikes Tara. She nearly says it out loud but catches herself at the last second.

"Is there anything on your mind?" Cory asks, seeing the confused expression.

"No. Something ran through my mind. I lost it, that's why I looked confused. Anyway, I need you to get CJ up while I make breakfast.

Cory stretches and then gets to his feet with Tara staring at his half-naked body. She noticed that his body has toned down compared to when he came home, "Are you ever going to start working out again?"

Tara's question catches Cory off guard, "I guess. It's hard to lift weights, run, or find a gym when I didn't have a place to stay. But, now that I've moved in here, I will find a gym, or maybe put some equipment in the garage. You're welcome to join me at a gym or work out with me here."

A moment of shock shows on Tara's face with her jaw dropped open, "Did you call me fat, or are you insinuating that I don't look good for being a mom?"

Realizing how he worded the request wrong, Cory hunches his shoulders up as he pulls his head down, nearly grinding his teeth, "No," Cory manages to say without moving his lips.

"You better not ever call me fat. I'll make you regret it!" Tara threatens in a playful tone.

Cory rushes upstairs to get CJ up and dressed for school. Tara sits there for a minute, rattling the idea from a few minutes ago bounce in her mind. As bad as she hates her idea, Tara realizes it might be therapeutic for Cory. The idea she has in mind is to convince Cory to take a road trip and unwind with no one else going with him. The idea doesn't send a cold sensation down her spine but makes her uncomfortable that Cory may not return.

"Calm down, Tara; he won't vanish a second time. Cory has a relationship with CJ, which means he won't pull the same stunt again. So shake it off; I need to shake it off and relax."

Able to shake away the sensation, Tara walks to the kitchen and makes French toast and scrambled eggs. When Cory and CJ sit at the table, Tara brings them a plate, and Cory pours syrup over CJ's food. Tara joins them and says a quick, silent prayer, then enjoys the cinnamon and vanilla tastes in her mouth with the sweetness of the syrup, "So good," Tara mentions with her eyes closed.

CJ smiles and rubs his stomach, "I love mommy's French toast!"

"It is some good eatin'," Cory taunts, mocking a southern accent as Tara shoots him a dirty look.

"Why did you talk like that, daddy?"

Tara is seen shaking her head with an evil smile, "Yeah, sweetheart, please tell us why you talk like that."

Feeling a bit out of place, Cory sinks in his chair, "Well, little man, your mom came here from a place where they talk slow and with an accent," he explains with his hands folded in his lap.

All CJ can do is giggle until he snorts, "That's funny the way you talked. Are there more people who talk like that?"

Now feeling annoyed, Tara puckers her lips with one eye semi-closed.