Chapter 35 - Happiest Moment

Things after the wedding settle into place as life returns to a new normal. Cory finds his stride as Joseph helps him balance time between practices and the games. There's been a few times they've coached solely on their own rather than together. It allows not only the coach a chance to see them shine, but the new boosters club that Lloyd has assembled since the hockey team has always been the pride of RiverCreek.

With the playoffs locked in place for the first time in years, the team rallies to support the graduating seniors on the final home game of the season. While fans fill the stands, Cory and Joseph wait with the team for the coach to make his farewell speech to them. After he exits the office, everyone collectively holds their breath when they notice the light has dulled in the coach's eyes.

"Good evening, gentlemen, I know you've been waiting on me, but I was waiting for the final vote from the boosters club on their opinion of who should replace me," there's a moment of silence with the tension building.

"After a season of consideration with chats with various members of this new club, the decision was made for," the coach stops and locks eyes with Cory and Joseph, "Cory, Joe, would you please come up here and stand beside me. While they stare at the team, their hearts pound ferociously in their chests.

One by one, the players naturally get to their feet and begin to clap, showing their appreciation for how hard Cory and Joseph have worked to make the team better than they were the previous season.

"You beat me to it. Team, and coaches, I've seen so many talented and bright young men walk through this locker room. Less than a handful made it to the NHL, and some have become leaders in the community and world. These two right here worked tirelessly to win a state title and bring out the best you young men have to offer. With that being said, only one of you can be given the title of head coach and the other associate head coach."

Again the tension intensifies with sweat forming along with Joseph's balding head.

"So, let's congratulate Coach Winters as the new head coach and Cory taking the new associate head coach. Barring, they accept the offers right here, right now. The reason for the decision came down to how much time you can give the team. Since Joe's daughters are a little older than your son and with a new baby on the way, we all thought it would be best if you could focus on them. It doesn't mean you can't become a head coach one day, but for now, I'd recommend you spend as much time with your little ones."

Unable to speak for a minute, Cory and Joseph turn and shake hands to show the team mutual respect over the decision, "Sir, I will accept this position with great humility. Cory, it would be a great pleasure to coach with you," Joseph says with his heart rate starting to lower.

"Consider it a done deal for me. I am honored to return to our team to give back. So, Joe, I say we take the next challenge and bring home another state championship," Cory replies, feeling relieved that the decision has been made.

The decision has the team amped up to get out to face another tough defensive team. Down the way, the Plymouth Penguins prepare for the game th save their season. They need a win to secure a wildcard spot in the playoffs. There's a dark history between them, and RiverCreek is a violent one. When the team hits the ice to warm up, the crowd boos until the Beavers come out, then they cheer harder for the seniors.

Gathered at the box, Cory leads the pep talk, "Alright, tonight is our night! So for you, seniors take a little pride out there. But, seniors, you take the ice first. Make it count. Hit 'em hard and fast. Who's house is this?"

"Our house!" The team cries.

"I can't hear you!" Cory shouts.

"OUR HOUSE!"