Chapter 33 - It's Almost Time

As Cory and Joesph settle into their roles as interim coaches, they take turns helping the team begin to develop in the gym and on the ice. In addition, local reporters have created a highlight section in the newspaper for the team as they start with a five and zero record. The team under the new guidance has an entitled and lazy attitude driven out of them. To help bolster their confidence, Joseph and Cory hit the ice during practice which helps them begin to get back into shape.

Things don't slow down for Cory. He's busy with work, doctor appointments with Tara, time with CJ, finalizing plans for the wedding since they decided to get married at Grant's church before Christmas, and coaching. He cannot find a moment to himself, Cory says nothing about how burnt out he's beginning to feel, but Tara picks up on it one night during dinner. When Saturday morning arrives, Cory sleeps until almost noon. Awakened by the front door closing, Cory takes his time stirring before he gets to his feet. As the silence fills the house, he's concerned after walking down the short hallway into the living room.

"Tara, CJ..." Cory calls out, then looks down when he hears his phone vibrate.

With no response, Cory picks up his phone and opens it with a note left from Tara, "Hey sweetness, I took CJ to my mother's to spend time with her. You've been working so hard. So, consider this a full day off. Get yourself pampered without having to worry about us. Love, Tara, and CJ," Cory reads aloud and runs his hand through his long shaggy hair.

Not in a rush to get ready, Cory gets a Propel before he gathers his clothes and gets a shower. In his mind, he's going over getting a haircut with other small errands he needs to run to prepare for the wedding. In the few moments in-between all of the running and working he's doing, he finds time to worry about finally getting married.

After a shower and trimming his heard, Cory throws on a pair of fitting boxers, a graphic t-shirt, and loose-fitting bootcut jeans with his favorite pair of Puma running shoes. Then, firing up his car, the sound of the engine purring brings a sense of joy that he remembers with his Celica when he first got it from his dad.

Ready to get his day started, Cory shifts to Reverse, then speeds away to Sports Clips, where he talks about how nervous but excited he is to get through the wedding. After finishing his hair trimmed and styled, Cory finds himself downtown to make a quick stop at his office to pick up his work laptop. One of the easiest things has been how fast and easy the facility is up and running ahead of schedule. Even though it's not working directly inside a hospital or medical facility, Cory enjoys his position and the people he works with.

Changes to RiverCreek are now more profound as construction moves along with several new companies hiring and expanding the outer edge of town. However, the biggest surprise is found after Cory stops by the old hang-out spot where the two rivers meet that helped form RiverCreek as a port city. Construction is seen at the edge of the bank and feeling curious, Cory gets out of his car to check out the progress made. A little nervous, Cory sees Kayla's memorial plaque hasn't been touched. That day flashes in his mind in a quick instant, but he shakes it off so it doesn't throw him too far off track.

Back through town, Cory drives around and comes across the church. Seeing the doors open, he gets curious and pulls into the parking lot. Cory sees Nia setting things up for the wedding by walking through the door. He's blown away by the painted arch, with the draping looks perfect.

"Whoa! You've put in the work, Mrs. McGuiness. Tara's going to love this when she sees it."

"You just missed her and CJ. He's such a doll. Come in to take it all in if you want."

Cory doesn't budge as he stares at Nia, working on attaching draping. Once she's finished with that, Nia disappears to the back storage room and returns with candle holders. Cory's blown away by how hard she's working to make their day nearly perfect.