Chapter 25 - The Approaching Wedding and Drama

About four months later, things are back in place. Cory's been applying for nursing positions, but some people won't admit it, but they're hesitant to hire a male nurse. However, he refuses to give up, and on a whim, he turns in his resume to a medical device company expanding its horizons with surgical research and development. There's a supervisor position open, and Cory applies since he has a bachelor's degree.

Things between Lloyd and Simon begin to feel intense the closer it gets to the wedding. As the final preparations are nearly in place, Simon returns to Kenora, Ontario, to be with his family. Lloyd stays behind to get everyone ready. He's also busy walking around RiverCreek personally, checking on construction progress, and meeting with business owners when the opportunity presents itself. He's pleased with the progress, knowing it means Tara and Cory are moving home soon.

The weekend before they're all set to drive to Canada, Cory and Tara drop CJ off at his mother's so they can look at a couple of houses for rent. Sitting on the porch, the feel of an early trying to push through swirls in the air.

"So, what are our plans after you find a place? Are there wedding bells in your future like there are for Lloyd and Simon? What about another grandbaby? We could use another girl in this group," Lorraine says, feeling excited about them moving back.

Cory looks at Tara with fear in his eyes, "Um, we haven't discussed any of that, but I mean, it's something we can talk about while we look at a couple of places."

"Yeah, it's on the backburner for now. I got the house on the market with two different offers on it already. So, we don't have that much time to consider planning for a wedding or talk about having another baby."

CJ makes his opinion known out of nowhere, "I want to be a big brother. How do I become a big brother?"

The adults can't help but find the cuteness in his question, and Lorraine reaches for him to pull CJ in for a hug. It gives Cory a perfect excuse to leave with Tara as they join the hug and make their way down to the Sportage. Tara gets in the driver's seat and Cory waves before he slides into the passenger seat.

"Say, see you later, mommy and daddy; nanna is going to make me some chicken tenders and mac and cheese," Lorraine says, seeing CJ's face light up, ready to munch on homemade food.

The first house on the list is only two blocks away. It's a Post-War style home painted a warm cream color with unpainted pine wood shutters. There's no porch, only a couple of small steps with a white aluminum awning.

"It's cute, but it looks so small," Tara mentions with a disdained glare in her eyes.

"Well, let's scope it out and see if we can get a feel for what we like. House hunting is something we can do together," Cory replies, reluctant to admit he feels the same way.

The realtor walks out the front door and greets them after they exit the Sportage.

"So, you must be Tara Rose and Cornileus Dubois. I'm Veronica Dillionshire, and I'm going to be your realtor. I know your application online said you have a son, and this place might be a tad too small, but let's use this place as a base until we find you something. So, are we only seeking out somewhere to rent, or are we in the market for a starter or maybe a forever home?" The six-and-a-half-foot woman with long curly long almond hair and blue eyes asks.

Tara takes the lead on what they're searching for, "Right now, my house is on the market with two potential offers, and we need to move too soon. I prefer to buy, but beggars can't be choosers right now. So, please show us around a few rentals and maybe something under a hundred thirty thousand dollars that's for sale."

Impressed with how well she speaks up about what she wants, Cory follows the ladies into the house, where they're shown around the two-bedroom with one bathroom house. The other biggest deterrent is the restrictions that they can't paint over the white walls. The house has no character to Cory, and he won't allow Tara to settle.