Chapter 20 - What RiverCreek Offers

Dinner is filled with laughter and fun for most of the members of the party. Rick sits there mainly in silence. Cory spends time with CJ, but like before, CJ picks and prods at Janet's thick southern accent. The longer Tara is exposed to the sound of Janet's accent, the more Tara's accent begins to return.

"I can't believe you're here! Cory, you have no idea how much this means to me," Tara says with her arm around Janet's shoulders.

"Didn't I tell you that I would go to the ends of the Earth to make you happy?"

As the memory of that phrase reverberates in her mind, Tara looks over and notices that every so often, Rick would try to sneak a glare at Janet, "Rick, would you like to spend some time with Janet after we catch up?" Finally, she calls out, sending Rick sinking into the seat.

None of them can fathom how Rick's not himself. Cory, Lloyd, and Lorraine always saw Rick as their group's loud and proud members growing up. From cheering at games to being nose-to-nose with those who opposed Lloyd's decision to come out, Rick has always been the backbone without an ounce of fear.

"Uh, yeah, sure, you know I could show her, or you, around town or something like that," Rick mumbles, fighting to maintain eye contact.

"Well, color be Razorback red and do the sooie call; I'd like to be escorted and feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman," Janet says as she begins to blush again.

Everyone around the table begins to laugh all over again, but CJ sits there confused.

"Why is that funny, daddy?"

Olivia beats Cory to the punch, "It's funny because Janet and Rick are worlds apart, and they're opposites that could find something new to show the world. So it's funny but sweet at the same time."

All CJ can do is nod, pretending to understand what his grandmother said.

It isn't long after that dinner comes to an end, and Tara hitches a ride with Janet to go over to the RiverCreek Lodge to catch up. Still, before they make their way there, Janet hands the keys to Tara, and she drives over to Lorraine's to retrieve her Sportage and has Janet follow some more before Tara must drive home.

Once they arrive and walk through the door, they sit on the bed and stare at each other.

"It's been way too long," Janet begins.

"Without a doubt about it. I've thought about you so many times, but I had no idea what to do or say to make up for the fight we had that night on the phone. As it turns out, our lives still run parallel in some odd way," Tara says with a hint of disappointment.

Janet sits there and quickly reminds Tara of what all she's been blessed with compared to her life, "Listen to me. You've had it so much better by leaps and bounds. But, girl, that man of yours is something else. Let me tell you what, when he came into my job and waited for his time to jump like a big ol' fat catfish; he did it with finesse," she stops to recall his name, "Cory, right? Yeah, he showed me pictures, and my heart fluttered. He's good people and seems like a very lovin' daddy."

Tara places a hand over her heart with more love pouring from inside for Cory, "He always finds a way to amaze me. Cory's not had it easy since coming home from the military."

Instantly Janet's eyes nearly pop out of her head, "He's a vet? Dang girl, you know how to pick 'em."

"That wasn't the plan he had for our lives. When we met, Cory wanted to become a general surgeon. After things had happened and how we felt through sex, I got pregnant, and Cory went into the Army to provide for us. However, I am ashamed to say we lost six years because I wrote a letter lying to him about having a miscarriage when my dad died. Cory didn't find out about CJ until he was forced to come home for his father's funeral. He's done so much in a short amount of time, but his temper has scared me too."