Chapter 2 - Time at the VA Medical Center

In the days since the night terror at Rick's, Cory has stayed at his mother's house. His body continues to heal as Cory starts to move around more and begins to try to work out every so often. While he's semi-barricaded at his mother's house, Tara has brought CJ over, and with their first visit, Tara added Cory to her cell phone account with a brand new phone for him.

They're sitting together at the kitchen table while Lorraine entertains CJ.

"I know I shouldn't have, but I want you to be able to stay in touch with everyone. I hate having to guess and worry about where you are, and CJ is constantly asking to talk to you. He wants to be around his father more, and you need him more in your life."

Cory, still unable to express what he sees in his night terrors, sits there in silence at first. When he hears CJ laugh, his trance is broken, "Huh? Oh yeah. I'm sorry, sweetie. I guess it's not what I expected being home, but you're correct that I do need to spend more time with him. I have an upcoming appointment at the VA in St. Paul, and when I get done there, if you don't mind, that is, I could stay with you a night or two and spend time with my son," Cory replies with a bit of raspiness to his voice.

Tara reaches out with her left hand and places it over Cory's. That's when Cory sees the ring and gives a slight grin, "You're still wearing that ring. I'm sort of shocked, and does that mean we pick up where we left off? I don't know what all this means anymore. I feel lost."

"What we have can be figured out in time. Do I still love you? Yes! Do we pick up right where we left off? No. What we had when you left was uncertain and shaky, and I can't afford that with CJ. You've always been the main guy in my life until our son was born. Can I see us trying to repair or build a new relationship over time? I do. Right now, you need to get your mind healed, and your body needs to recover. Don't get me wrong, that kiss the other night was magical, but my mom and your mom talked to me about making sure we don't make the same mistakes and rush or that things have changed. I can see you're not sleeping that great. You have heavy bags under your eyes, and the stress is all over your face," Tara explains with a gentle rubbing on Cory's hand.

The kitchen door bursts open, and a happy young man runs into Cory's arms, "DADDY!"

CJ bounces into Cory's lap and smiles his bright smile at his mother.

"Are you happy to see daddy?" Tara asks.

"Yes! I want daddy to come home with us. I want him to play cops and robbers and play cars with me. Will you come home with us, daddy, please?"

Cory feels his heart melt and the stress disappears almost immediately, "I wish I could, but soon I will be there. Daddy promises."

The look on CJ's face leaves Tara nearly in tears from trying to hide her laughter. The expression CJ gives his father is the exact annoying glare Cory has had ever since they met in high school. Cory notices the look in tara's eyes and gives her the same glare CJ is giving him, leaving Tara wanting to capture the moment on her phone with a photo.

"Hold those poses! You two look exactly alike, and I want to get that!" Tara says with a quick snap sound from her phone, "Got it! Thanks!"

Their expressions change, and CJ gets down to go to the refrigerator to get himself a juice," "Mommy, daddy, would you like a juice too?"

"Sure, baby boy, bring mommy one."

"Yes, CJ, I would like a juice too. Thank you for being such a thoughtful and polite young man."

Lorraine walks into the kitchen and leans against the counter. Cory has noticed since her retirement and his dad's death that his mother has lost weight. Her clothes are baggier, and her hair has more gray. Cory isn't used to seeing his mother wearing shorts or tennis shoes.