Chapter 19 - OMG

Things have become eerily silent between Tara and Cory. The text messages increase in a vague nature, and Tara begins to feel something isn't adding up. She tries to play off the concern, but she stays focused at work and spends time with CJ. Even staying busy, Tara feels this nagging sensation in the back of her mind, but it doesn't come off being something negative.

One late evening while sitting at her desk in the office, she goes to lock in the next two weeks' schedules when her phone begins to ring, "Hey sexy, how's the trip?"

Cory sounds chipper when he speaks up, "It's great! I've driven through so many places and met God knows how many people. But, I have to admit, I've enjoyed my time in your neck of the woods. It's opened my eyes to how you can be so good at your job, and the food is going to take me months to work off," he teases as Tara chuckles.

"So, you're getting fat, are you? I shouldn't be surprised given the fact that 'The South' has the best foods and culture around," Tara says as she waves her free hand in the air and bobs her head.

It gives them a chance to share a laugh, but Cory shifts the conversation, "Yeah, I mean, I've probably gained about five pounds, and I've tried to hit the treadmill and weights when a hotel or motel has them available. That's not the point, though, I'll be home in a few days, and there's a surprise I found for you. So, in about three or four days, expect me to call and have you meet me at your mother's but drop CJ off at my mother's. Trust me when I say it's well worth the wait."

"Uh, okay. All of that seems a little extreme, but I trust you. But, as much as I hate to do this, I need to get off of here and lockdown my crew's schedules and off-site events finalized. I miss you, and I love you. I can't wait to see you very soon!"

"I love you too, Tara. Give CJ a big hug for me, and thank you for giving me this trip. It's opened my eyes more than I could imagine."

The call comes to an end, and Cory finds himself stretched out on the bed, snacking on the leftover food from Popeyes Chicken. While he munches on cool French fries and chicken tenders, Cory finds entertainment with Pro Wrestling Empire on TV. After he's finished and gives his food time to settle, Cory changes into a pair of basketball shorts and a sleeveless shirt and gets on the treadmill, where he speed walks for about forty minutes, working up a sweat, and once he's finished and pats his face with a hand towel.

"Geez, I'm starting to feel this traveling shit. I don't know how Wane did this all those years as a trucker," Cory says to himself.

Cory gets a change of clothes from his bag in his room and notices a smell coming from his travel bag. After a couple of quick sniffs, he decides to get a quick shower and takes the bag down to the laundry area, and stays on his phone while he waits for the laundry to be washed and dried. When it's finished and smelling better, Cory shoves it all back in his bag, along with a couple of extra dryer sheets to keep his bag smelling better. Finally, settled in bed, Cory falls asleep and nearly misses checking out on time.

Back on the road, Cory drives to one final destination to help get his surprise ready and start the long journey home.

It takes him two full days of driving, but Cory finally reaches RiverCreek, where he finds himself arriving at Foodland International Grocery, looking for Olivia. When he learns that she's taking the day off, Cory drives to her house and knocks on the front door.

Surprised to see Cory standing at the front door, Olivia opens it and notices the second car in the driveway, "Did you find another car finally?" She asks with a confused expression.

"No! That's Tara's surprise and someone who has been waiting to apologize to you first. So come with me and see who's come to visit. You'll need to cover your eyes and let me guide you down to the car."