Chapter 17 - Tara's Past

Making his way further south, Cory makes it outside of Lexington, Kentucky, before he stops for fuel. After the Celica is topped off and Cory heads inside for an ice-cold fountain soda, Cory feels his phone vibrating in his pocket.

"Hey, Tara, what's up?"

"Nothing much. I wanted to call and talk. I had a bad dream last night, and when I reached for you and you weren't there, I freaked out. Where are you heading today?" Tara begins.

Cory opens the driver's side and rolls down the window to allow air to pass through to not get stuffy in his car, "It's okay, it was only a dream. I talked to that guy that saved my unit, Jordan, some more, and I might meet up with him. How's everything else? I miss you and CJ more than you know but thank you for convincing me to do this. I feel a sense of freedom if that makes any sense."

"It makes perfect sense. Which way did you take? When we moved to RiverCreek, we came through Indianapolis. We stopped at this place called Quaker State and Lube for wings and stuff, and it was so good!"

The excitement in Tara's voice gives Cory an idea, but he doesn't say anything about what he's thinking, "I'll look them up, but I do know that place I had wings at last night was some of the best I've ever had in my life. I might look up that place you're talking about to get some on the way home. Anyway, tell me more about Arkansas."

Shocked at the sudden interest, Tara gives Cory an odd glare that would show how unsure she is about sharing that part of her past if he could see. It takes her a minute to collect a couple of good memories, but she begins by reminding Cory about the not-so-happy moments of her past.

"Well, I'm sure you remember that my ex-boyfriend, Bobby, the guy I was with before you, was an asshole. He wanted me to be controlled and have as many brats as possible to keep me locked down to his life at any cost. Mom and dad had a nice place, but Bobby had this rundown 70s model trailer, and it smelled horrible. I can remember feeling the drafts from the rotted seals around the windows, and his fridge was filled with nothing but cheap beer and TV dinners. Anyway, moving away from that sorry son of a bitch. My best friend in the world, Janet Elkins, we were tighter than most sisters," Tara pauses to take a breath.

"At least you had someone good in your life. So what happened between you two?" Cory says and asks.

"I was getting to that!" Tara says in a playful tone, "Do you remember the night when we first had sex? That was because of how I felt betrayed by Janet. She got wind about how my dad got Bobby locked up, and she called me, calling me uppity and snotty and such. She ripped my heart out, which means I filled how I felt with sex; sorry about that."

Although Tara can't see it, Cory shrugs his shoulders without saying anything.

"No response?" Tara asks.

"I hunched my shoulders if that counts," Cory informs her.

"Oh ha-ha, very funny. I mean, things may have worked themselves out in time, but we lost touch after that night. I have no clue what she's doing these days. Maybe I'll look her up o Facebook or something."

By pure instinct, Cory almost lets his secret plan be known, but he catches himself, "Hey yeah, that would be a good idea. Don't rush it, though. I mean, after all these years, she may be forgiving, but she may also still have unresolved feelings."

"Oh my Gosh, you're right! Janet was known for holding a grudge. Now I feel worse about waiting for so long. What can I do?"

"Tara, sweetie, give it time. You know, take your time and look her up and see how her life is going before you burst back into Janet's life. A lot has changed in your life too. Janet may not have the same success you've had so far. But you've outdone so many from RiverCreek High School, so I could imagine how much more you probably succeeded others back in Little Rock. You've done better than me, but Lloyd has gone further than all of us."