Chapter 32 - More Changes

It isn't long before Thanksgiving arrives. Everyone has made plans to meet at Olivia's since she's still rehabbing her leg. The only ones who aren't in attendance are Rick, Janet, and the kids, as they're spending their first Thanksgiving at his parent's home. While they're away, it gives Tara the chance to be the cook for the first time since Olivia has always maintained that she's the one who prepares the traditional meal.

Before the honey-glazed ham and buttery basted turkey are pulled from the oven and roaster, the house is filled with various aromas with cherry, apple, pumpkin, and banana crème pies in the refrigerator in the garage. The sounds of a football game can be heard from the living room. CJ plays in his mother's old bedroom on his Xbox until dinner is ready. Lorraine enjoys her plus one as Troy makes the trip to join the family for the day.

Cory sits at the table with a playbook in front of him. During one of the practices he attended with Joseph, the coach has asked them to study some plays to assess the team at a shot for the playoffs. All he can do is rework some of the ideas used to win the state title and work into the scheme of things, but Cory also knows this team doesn't have the same muscle they did years ago. The use of speed is the current team's biggest strength with a strong defense.

"Babe! Hey, babe!" Tara calls out when she stops to escape the heat from the oven, "Could you do me a favor and watch the food for a bit? I need to sit down and get something to drink."

Without thinking it over, Cory gets to his feet and holds the chair for Tara. Rather than get her a bottle of water, Cory pours a glass of tea and then checks the temperatures of the ham and turkey. The break gives Tara fifteen minutes to recover, then when she scoots Cory from the kitchen back to the table. Minutes later, she yanks the turkey from the oven and sits it on the counter over the glass protectors so it doesn't singe the countertop. Finally, the ham gets to temp, but the only thing left to bake is the self-rising rolls. Once those are done and stacked on an oversized plate, Tara calls out, "Dinner's done!"

CJ comes walking down the steps and takes Lorraine's hand to the table, where they wait for grace to be given by Olivia before they start digging in. After grace is said and everyone says, "amen," everyone takes what they want, but Lorraine gets CJ's plate, then she selects what she wants then takes a seat between Cory and Troy.

"I want to say something before we get too deep into our meal. First thing, Tara, this looks and smells delicious, you have outdone yourself, and you should be proud. Secondly, I want to give thanks for everything I have in my life," Lorraine stops long enough to take Cory's and Troy's hands, "It's been a rocky year. As bad as times have been, I look around this table and see how blessed I am with my son coming home, and I have a man in my life that makes me happy. Cory, you've overcome a lot. You've pressed on to make it to the other side when others would have given up. I'm beyond proud of you."

Troy doesn't say anything but smiles with a squeeze to her hand. Cory also remains silent, which allows Tara the chance to give thanks.

"My turn, I guess. There's so much that I am thankful for this year. First, Cory coming home and watching him with our son has filled me with so much more love than I ever knew was possible. Now this baby is growing, and we're close to getting married, which has doubled how I feel. Third, my best friends got married, and my adoptive sister has returned. My life is nearly perfect. I thank God every day for everything," she says with her emotions about to get the better of her.

"I'm thankful for my family," CJ mentions, then giggles as everyone around the table joins him in sharing the laugh.

With a glass of dark wine in the air, Olivia gets to her feet, "To everyone here and all those we've lost or can't be home with their loved ones."