Chapter 28 - Finding Peace and a Place to Get Married

Since Rick's parents re-entered his life, things have been different. His mother calls at least twice a day, talking to Rick and Janet. However, ever since Rick's blow-up at church, things between him and his father are still at a slow progress. The trust issues still come to the surface as Rick believes he can't let his guard down.

A few weeks go by after both families move into their new homes. Rick and Janet love their new home. The exterior is a light sandstone with a large front and back porch. The windows are also large to allow natural light to help keep utilities low, and the chimney gives Janet the country feel she always wanted. The kids adore the playset in the backyard, while Rick makes good with the firepit every evening when Tara and CJ come over.

"Gosh, I love this place!" Janet says, curled up on a red wooden lawn chair.

"It's beautiful y'all. Our hose is cute, and I'm refusing to get attached since it's only temporary. The only thing I hate about it is the steps going into the basement. They feel too steep, but that's where the washer and dryer are at, so I ain't gotta choice," Tara shares between sips of sweet tea.

The kids have Rick's attention, playing on the swings. Charlotte plays Queen of the Castle. Unable to focus on the conversation between Janet and Tara, he sits there nursing on a can of Miller Lite. It's not until Tara dashes inside, feeling her pregnancy sickness about to flare up again. Janet follows her inside and gets her best friend a cool, damp washcloth.

"Here, girl, I have you covered. I even got some saltines for you. I'm prepared for when I get pregnant. Rick's been such a great role model for the kids that I know he'll be even better when we have one of our own."

Tara groans with her face over the sink, waiting for the nauseous feeling to subside. She's leaning there, breathing hard as her head continues to spin, "I didn't miss this part of being pregnant."

"I can imagine how that feels. It'll pass, though; we know that much, but just try to keep your wits about you. How's work going?"

"Ugh, it's going okay. I have people in training and the menu to finalize. My bosses are excited to hand over this restaurant to me. They love my southern tastes, which is why this restaurant is a different theme. But, oh, God, go outside; you don't want to hear this."

Heaving heavily over the sink, Janet covers her ears and walks outside, shutting the door behind her. Rick sees the concerned look on her face.

"I take it she's puking again?"

"Yes, and I couldn't stand to hear her heave like that. Tara sounds like she's about to keel over like a deer on the highway. Hunny, do you think Cory will be back here as soon as his training is done?"

Rick shakes his head, yes, but as the sun begins to disappear from the sky, he calls the kids inside to get cleaned up for bed, "Hey kids, playtime is over. Time to come inside and clean up for bed soon."

The kids are disappointed, but they come inside as instructed. Tara regains her poise long enough when everyone is inside so the children don't hear her. CJ takes a seat on the couch until Tara feels up to walking next door to go home. Janet walks with her, but Rick asks her to return when a text from Olivia comes in.

"Hey, baby, I need you to get back and stay with the kids. Tara, your mom, texted me and thought she saw someone snooping around the store. So I'm going to head over there and make sure she's good. I'll be back shortly."

Worried, the girls say goodbye for the night, and Tara calls her mother.

"Mom. Rick said he's on his way over. Are you okay?"

"I'm good and okay. I thought I saw some guy casing the outside. I don't want to call the Sheriff's office in case it's nothing. So, don't worry, it's not healthy for you or the baby."