Chapter 36 - New Home, New Beginnings

Since Makayla was early, she stays in the hospital for a few extra days as a precaution. Tara is released after four days, but spends every minute with her during visiting hours until Makayla comes home. The bonding time leaves Tara feeling like she's failed as a mother since Makayla is fussy with her, unlike CJ when he was a newborn.

"I wish I had our own home to take you to. I don't want to sound cynical because I'm grateful that your father and I had help from the nicest people. I didn't even own a home when your brother was born. At this point in my life, I wanted to be further along and more secure before you came along." Tara says, then sniffs, feeling disappointed.

There's a knock at the door, and a nurse enters, "I wanted to check on you two. Miss Makayla should be ready to go home at any time. She's nursing well, and her weight is good. Everything checks out, and her blood work is perfect. I love saying this. Your baby is happy and healthy."

"You have no idea how comforting that is to hear. It scared me when she was born about a month early," Tara turns to look at Makayla while she breastfeeds, "You hear that, my angel? You get to go home soon. Daddy and Rick built your crib, and everything is ready to welcome you home."

Informed and pleased to give Tara the good news, the nurse leaves. About two hours later, Dr. Frost enters the room, "Well, everything is in order. I have your discharge papers with appointments scheduled with your primary care physician. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to come in. Congratulations again, Makayla is a wonderfully behaved and healthy newborn."

Tara takes the paperwork and carries Makayla to her car. Carefully strapping in the baby, Tara gets into the driver's seat and sets the paperwork in the passenger seat. She sits there crying, feeling depressed about taking Makayla back to the rented house. After the crying fit ends, Tara starts her Jeep but doesn't drive home. Instead, she drives to her mother's house.

Parked along the curb, Tara stares at the dream home she wants, "Goddamn sons a bitches, why did y'all have to buy my fucking home? That was supposed to be where I took my family. It's supposed to be where Cory and I grow old!" She says while collecting her composure.

Olivia notices the Jeep out front. She's confused but manages to make her way out without her cane. She barely has a limp, thanks to the extra effort during therapy as the therapist suggested it was time to walk without assistance. Tara doesn't spot her mother coming at first, but when Olivia taps on the back window, it startles her and Makayla.

"There are my two favorite ladies. Is everything okay?" Seeing where Tara was crying, Olivia asked, "You know we wanted to plan a welcome home party for Makayla. Come inside so you can tell me what's going on. No one will know you're here until you're ready."

Wiping her eyes, Tara gets out without facing Olivia. Then, with Makayla in her car seat, Tara carries her into the house and stares out the window. It doesn't take Olivia long to put the pieces together, seeing Tara stare at the house on the corner.

"It's so weird, you know? Someone buys that place, but I've never seen anyone coming or going from there. I've tried to catch them to talk to them about trying to buy the house from them no matter what it takes, but no one is ever home. Someone be there, though, because the Mustang is gone from time to time unless they park in the garage. Ah, the garage is bigger than my last one, and it's big enough for two cars. Mom, why did I not get my dream home?"

Olivia tries to tell Tara about the house, but instead, she has an idea, "Tell you what, call everyone over for pizzas to celebrate Makayla coming home. Maybe with friends and family here to surround you, it'll help. Post-Patrum Depression is a dangerous thing to face alone."

"Yes, momma. I want meat lovers, please, from Domino's. That deal they have for $7.99 items is a great deal. Rick loves their wings, Janet will want a sweet BBQ pineapple pizza, and everyone else will be okay with pepperoni pizza," Tara suggests, sounding monotone.