Chapter 23 - One Bad Day

As everyone's lives begin to change, Lloyd finds himself still at odds with RiverCreek's City Council. His morning consists of meetings where he continues to battle with the people's results but is still getting push back from those in power.

"Hey! The good people voted on this subject. Why, oh why, do we continue to have this debate? Things are moving along, with or without your support. So, get on board with the changes coming to RiverCreek. Tax revenue is pouring in like rain; the schools are getting upgrades and much-needed support for teachers and staff. The Chamber of Commerce has researched what's changed, and city employees have a shot at something better than a three percent increase in wages. Our crime rate hasn't changed, and we're close to closing multiple deals on more companies and industries to set up shop here," Lloyd declares from his seat.

City Council Woman, Felicia Walters, an average height middle-aged with gray hair and wireframe reading glasses, stands to address Lloyd, "Mayor Trippet, our concerns are toward the growing threat of an economic depression getting a grip on the world. We are excited for the future of RiverCreek, but we must prepare for what is potentially coming. How do you propose we keep moving forward?"

With an answer prepared, Lloyd takes his hands from the top of his desk and into his lap, "Council Woman Walters, I am aware of what's happening all around the country. However, to secure the promises I made to this community if needed, I will suspend the gradual transition to the planned flat tax system and fix the bugs as we go along. That's the strongest response my office can implement at the present time. What other concerns do you need me to address?"

"Mayor Trippet, can you say for certain that is the proper strategy to keep everything afloat? Maybe we should place a temporary hold until the economy settles."

The realization that fear still has a grip on members of the City Council, Lloyd sees they're trying to bring his hard work and success to a halt since some of them are afraid of the sudden change.

"Council Lady Walters, with all due respect to you and those still opposed to a bigger and better RiverCreek, all of you are allowing fear of the unknown factors that can't be predicted through analysis or computer simulations. We must place our trust in the people of our community and let them show us that this is the right direction. We work for them, not the other way around. Too many of us have forgotten that we speak for the people, not us doing what we think is best for them from a perspective of our interests and thoughts."

The chatter begins between every member of the Council as Lloyd gulps, wondering what's about to happen. It takes about fifteen minutes for the discussions to come to a decision.

"First thing, thank you, Mayor Trippet, for your dedication and maintaining your campaign promises. Secondly, after debating amongst ourselves, some of us are still unsure about the changes, but you're correct in your final statement. Third, we work for the citizens of our great small suburb, and somewhere along the way, we have overlooked that. Lastly, we will not stand in the way of the modernization of RiverCreek as long as one condition is met if things take a turn for the worse."

Concerned, Lloyd prepares himself for a response he may not enjoy, "What condition do you have in mind, Council Person Conway?"

When Councilman Conway gets to his feet, he runs his hand through his short curly dark brown hair and then adjusts his glasses, "If and only if this goes bad, you resign as Mayor. However, if you believe in this plan to that extent, then you will have our full support."

"I do believe in it that much, so consider this a win for both sides," Lloyd says without hesitation.

Finished with the meeting, Lloyd heads back to his office, where Simon is waiting for him. When the door flings open, and Lloyd throws his suit jacket on the rack, "Son of a bitch!" Lloyd lets out, startling Simon, "I think I painted the biggest fucking target on my back. If this expansion goes wrong, I agreed to quit my job as Mayor."