Chapter 18 - Lloyd

As Cory continues his trip with the surprise for Tara still bouncing around in his mind, things back in RiverCreek begin to heat up as the special election results begin to take shape, and Lloyd starts preparations for everything in his plan. One evening he invites Tara and Rick over for dinner to welcome Simon home from getting arrangements ready in Canada.

When Tara pulls up, Simon notices that Cory isn't with them, "Lover, I only see two guests for dinner. Where is Cory?"

"I meant to tell you. Cory took off at Tara's request to get a trip to help with his issues. As a way to, you know, ease his mind and get away from the stresses he left here years ago," Lloyd explains, coming up with his arms around Simon.

"You know, that would have been nice to know beforehand. I was looking forward to getting to sit down and see them together," Simon hesitates between his thoughts, "Wait, does that mean he won't be back in time for the wedding?"

Lloyd squeezes lightly and releases Simon from his grip to open the door and welcome their guests, "Well, if it isn't my two favorite RiverCreek rejects. The future Tara Dubois and my favorite mechanic, 'Slick' Rick Mc-G!"

Everyone shares a laugh as they exchange hugs and make their way into the living room. Once they're settled, Simon carries a tray of lemonade and a bottle of Absolut Vodka to accompany the need to drink. Rick doesn't waste time mixing his drink, fifty percent lemonade, and fifty percent alcohol.

"So, what's for dinner?" Rick asks after chugging the first glass.

"We have Hibachi on the way. Various flavors of chicken, veggies, fish, and rice. Simon wants us to become vegetarians, so you and Tara can pig out on the meats. I'm adapting to a fish and veggie diet. I mean, I'm already a fruitcake, so fruits come naturally," Lloyd states as they crack up at his corniness.

Simon takes it upon himself to turn on some easy-going music. The comfort level helps to ease any tension in the room until the food is delivered. Lloyd gets his selection and takes a seat at the head of the kitchen table, where he waits to say grace and begins the next round of conversation.

"Okay, who has Cory Jr. right now? I miss seeing my microsized boy."

"He's with Cory's mother for the evening. She's been worried about him since the first brawl he was in being with you. Then he went crazy and beat the living hell out of my former Assistant Manager. That side of him scares the bejesus out of me. Unlike high school, I knew he could fight, but seeing him brutalize someone and not stop when they're down and out. Who does something like that to another human? What's worse, I told him I was ready to move to the next phase after therapy. Am I crazy?"

Simon reaches out to take Tara's hand, "Listen to me, neither of you is crazy. Cory saw things none of us can ever understand. I've seen that stare in some of my family who served, and they don't stay in the moment, they go back to that trauma, but it lies on us to help hold them close to reality when they go off the rails. Our dear sweet Tara, you're not crazy; you're in love with a broken man. He's a man who loves you more than life itself, I'm sure. Cory will be okay. Do you want to know how I know?"

Tara nods, waiting to hear the rest of Simon's speech.

"Cory will be okay because of the love we all give him. Through understanding and support, the fear will disappear over time. Right now, he isn't the only one on a journey of self-discovery; all of us are on that path along personal trails. Lloyd and I are getting close to getting married. Rick is rebuilding his life and legacy one brick at a time, and you and Cory are learning to find your footing as adults. In life, we're always going to face obstacles, and it's not how we react but how we walk out of the storm that dictates who we are. And you are a strong woman and loving mother whose heart belongs to the strongest man in your world."