Chapter 14 - Group

When Cory pulls his car into the garage, he begins to unpack. He leaves his clothes on the shelves, and when Cory enters the downstairs office, he sees Tara making the pull-out bed, "I thought I'd go ahead and make this for you. It's not the comfiest thing around, but it'll work until we figure out where we're going."

"No. I get it, and I understand that we need to be together but still apart. We've rushed a few things, not really knowing what the other has gone through the years we've been apart. I have my group session in a few days, and I'll do whatever I can to try to open up there. Also, we need to find a couples therapist for us to see if we can find a path through our issues and remember that we can trust each other again," Cory explains, standing a few feet from Tara.

"CJ's playing with his cars in his bedroom if you want to spend some time with him. I'll get dinner ready shortly. I'm glad you're here. All I ask is, don't make me regret the decision to allow you to move in so fast."

Cory says nothing and leaves Tara in the office. He makes his way to CJ's room, where they sit and play until dinner. After they eat, CJ is cleaned up for bed while Cory returns to the office, where he sees Tara going over things for work.

"What are you doing?" Cory asks, taking a seat on the pull-out bed.

"I need to work on schedules and finalize upcoming staff for off-site events. The best part of being on salary, I never truly do get a full day off."

Trying not to pay her too much attention, Cory lies on the bed with his phone out looking through car websites, but nothing grabs his attention. Finally, Tara returns to the screen where she emails Helen the schedule, "There, I'm done, so I will leave you to relax. Good night."

Left alone, Cory drifts to sleep and stays out cold all night. CJ wakes his father up in the morning with a gentle tug on his big toe, "Daddy. Mom wants you upstairs for breakfast."

"Oh, morning, big guy, tell your mom I'll be up there in a minute."

CJ runs back up the steps with the door slamming shut behind him. Unfortunately, when Cory makes his way into the kitchen, he's forgotten to place a shirt over his torso, and CJ sees the scars.

"Dad! Your boo-boos, did they hurt?" CJ calls out as Tara spins to see the look of shock on Cory's face.

"Um..." Cory stutters, not knowing what to say.

Tara remembers the waffle on the iron and picks it up. Once it sits on the plate, she steps between father and son, "Daddy did get hurt, but he's okay now."

"Oh, okay, mommy. If daddy was still hurt, I was going to make him feel better card at school," CJ says and returns to eating his waffle and bacon.

Feeling a bit nervous about forgetting to cover up his scars, Cory sits at the table, slouching, trying to hide the scars while he slowly eats his food. Tara feels horrible about CJ seeing his father torn up from his time in the Army. She finishes the last few waffles and takes her seat at the table. It's the first time she has enjoyed breakfast in a while. The sight of CJ and Cory together brings a slight smile that neither of them sees.

With CJ taken to school, Cory returns to shower and spends his day cleaning the house while Tara is at work. The music blares, and Cory finds himself dancing around the living room and kitchen with the broom and dustpan. Things feel and smell better after Cory mops the kitchen, followed by the living room. While he's cleaning, he listens to a new band on Pandora radio, a southern rock band known as Disgrace Thru Grace.

"Damn, these guys are pretty good," Cory tells himself, ringing out the mop.

After CJ gets off the bus and greets his dad at the door, he goes to the couch to listen to music while Cory continues to clean. Things fall into place before Tara arrives home and smells the delight of pasta, sauce, and breadsticks coming from the kitchen. She drops her purse and briefcase on the coffee table and then makes her way into the kitchen.