Chapter 13 - Unresolved Anger

The next morning, Rick wakes Lloyd and Cory up since they fell asleep sitting upright on the couch. Stirring from the stiffness and exhaustion, Lloyd gets to his feet and stretches, "Oh man, sleeping in a business attire does not make for a comfortable glorified nap."

Rick snickers and goes to make a pot of coffee.

"Get caffeinated, gentlemen; I have something in mind today. Could you meet me in front of the downtown theater? We need to do something," Rick says, unwilling to turn around to face his friends.

Concerned by the tone and way Rick's talking, Cory gets to his feet to join him in the kitchen.

"Everything good?"

"Yes. Something I've thought about for a long time that I think would bring some closure. I want us to get back to the best place possible. Let's call it unresolved anger therapy for the displaced brothers," Rick says.

Lloyd has an idea of what he's referring to but doesn't say anything to keep the surprise real, "I'll meet you there, say two o'clock? There's a City Council meeting at eleven over my proposals, and I must be there today. So it's about a fifty-fifty shot to move my plans forward unless it stalls, and then it'll be up for the community to vote on the matter."

"Best of luck, Lloyd. Give them hell today. We'll be rooting for you," Cory calls out as Lloyd exits the apartment.

Rick makes his way to work, and Cory exits with him to give a hand with oil changes. Rick's glad to have the extra hand backed up with the city contracts kicking in, leaving the garage flooded with work. Rick goes over invoices and sends out checks for monthly expenses when Rick sees a small surplus beginning to build, giving him the biggest smile on his face.

"God is good. I owe Lloyd my life; he saved this place with that big fat city contract," Rick says to himself, relaxing in his chair.

Time goes by, and when the hour arrives, Cory follows Rick to the spot where Frank was murdered. Lloyd shows up a few minutes later, hiding behind a dark pair of sunglasses. All three of them stand there where they know Frank died and his blood-stained the pavement for years. The only sounds around them are in the background: the birds enjoying the sunny afternoon, cars zipping by on the streets, and chimes from a church bell.

Cory, Lloyd, and Rick stand there praying in a moment of silence. Rick is the last one to raise his head, but when he does see Cory and Lloyd still hiding behind their sunglasses, "Gentlemen, today our healing begins right here. Once upon a time, we were nearly invincible and called the three musketeers. But, after we found out who Lloyd's secret lover was, it got worse on our boy here. Frankie was a spoiled, nasty, and smug son of a bitch, but he had Lloyd's heart, which meant there had to be something special there. The day he ran over Kay and ran, I lost it. All I can remember seeing was this red mist. I turned on my best friends, and I concocted the plan that cost me my freedom and Frankie his life. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't regret doing it because he was going to walk with a slap on the wrist, but I am sorry for the pain I caused you and my parents. I ask for your forgiveness, right here, right now," Rick says and extends his arms out for a hug.

Lloyd and Cory embrace Rick for a moment, and after it ends, Cory takes his turn to talk.

"I'll go next. Rick, I accept your apology. I lost so much after Frankie got killed. I lost my friends, who are my brothers, and Tara and I lost our childhood becoming parents. It was stupid for me to rush straight into the military without considering more things. My father died waiting for me to return home, and I never said goodbye, "Cory pauses to remove his sunglasses and wipe away some tears, "I walked away from all of you, and I am so sorry. Like Rick, I haven't missed Frankie, but I still feel bad for his parents. Losing a child can't ever be easy. I'd be lost if something happened to CJ or any of you. So, please, accept my apology."