Chapter-37- Bondita Invites Her Krishna (Part-2)

There was a sudden gust of cool wind which caused the pages of my book to rustle, also making the invitation and the peacock feather fly. While I progressed to collect them, the book fell down too. After gathering all my things, I decided to continue reading inside the house but Sumati ma's voice stopped me. Upon keen listening, I understood that ma was scolding Bondita for procrastinating things.

"Why do you keep things until the last Bondita? I have been pestering you since last week to keep your things ready. What did you do when the bangle seller came the other day? You just got busy eating roshogullas. Mrs. Iyer had particularly asked if you need a new set, but no, you did not pay a heed.", complained Sumati ma.

"Ma, it just slipped my mind. Besides, I never thought that I would be wearing a red saree.", quipped Bondita.

"Now what will you wear?", asked her mother.

"Whatever I have, I will use them. It is a test for my dance not for my decoration." , replied the daughter.

I partially understood their issue but still went towards their side of the house and asked, "Ma, is there anything that you need? You just tell me and I will get it but please leave Bondita."

"Anirudh babu, you are pampering her so much that she started becoming irresponsible. She knows that she had to perform today but now she found out that there are no bangles to wear.", ma complained again.

"Sakha babu, I have bangles. It's just that I don't have the ones that could match my saree.", told Bondita.

"Show me the dress you are going to wear.", I asked her.

"Just a minute", saying this she went inside her room and got a beautiful red Kanjeevaram pure silk sari. It was plain but had a thick gold border with golden lustre and a smooth finishing. "This is going to be my outfit for today's evening.", she grinned.

"It is so beautiful, Bondita. Don't worry I will go and get you the matching bangles.", I offered.

"It's not needed sakha babu. I will manage with whatever I have. Not need to trouble yourself for that.", she assured.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am."

"Then what alternatives do you have? Show me.", I asked completely forgetting about my reading session by then. I got totally involved in Bondita's business and I did not regret it, as every minute detail of her mattered the most to me. We almost shared everything with each other from very serious matters to the most stupid ones too. Then Bondita came with her bangle box and sat on the floor in the hall while I joined her.

She displayed four sets of bangles. There were four colours- light green, royal blue, pink and yellow. I placed each set on her saree and checked the matching. I twisted my lips in disappointment. I was not satisfied with any of the colour. Nothing seemed to compliment her dress aptly. I made up my mind to get her the right ones. However, Bondita looked happy with the light green ones and kept touching them every now and then, suggesting that she would wear them. It was a hint for me to get the new ones without informing her as she was definitely against the idea of sending me out.

Moreover, those bangles seemed to be very old and small. Obviously the ones that fit her hand when she was a twelve year old will not serve the purpose in her sixteenth year anymore, even though her hands did not become so fat. I was scared that if we forcefully tried to fit those smaller ones, they may break and end up hurting her. So, I was adamant to get new ones at any cost.

"Bondita, you carry on then. I have small work at the post office. I will see to it and come fast.", saying this I went to the nearest fancy shop.

Since I have a good idea of her wrist size, it took me very less time to buy. I selected many bright colours and brought two dozens of each. I was overwhelmed with joy as I received the bag from the shopkeeper. The joy that I experience while buying anything for Bondita cannot be obtained when I buy something for myself too. By the time I went home, Bondita was running from our house to the Iyers. She started helping them with the decoration. The entrance was aesthetically decorated with fresh mango leaves and bright yellow marigolds.

As usual they made a big kolam design in front of the entrance that enhanced the look of the house giving it a serene feel. The hall where the competition was supposed to be organised consisted of a big statue of Nataraja (the dance form of Lord Shiva) that was garlanded with marigolds. A few musical instruments too were placed before the God to play music and give rhythm to the dancers. Jute and cotton mats were spread for the ladies to sit. The ladies invited were none other than the mothers, aunts and sisters of the girls who were performing.

The special attraction in the hall, apparently my personal favourite, was the large wooden swing. Garlands of marigolds were twisted across the iron chains of the swing too, making it look all the more beautiful. The entire room looked like a temple on the whole. Not being satisfied with this, aunty was making some special delicacies for the guests too.

This is what makes me love the Iyers more and more. They were working hard to make someone else's event fruitful and beautiful. I wonder how people can be so inclusive. All that their family knew was helping others and being good to everyone around them, without expecting anything in return. In a country that saw the birth of a girl child as a burden, the Iyers desperately wished to have a girl. However, God did not bless them with any. It seems the one that was born died in the womb. So, in every girl they search for their daughter. Due to their broad mind and kind-heartedness we are able to stay away from our home without worrying much. If not for them, I could have still spent money and kept Bondita safe somewhere in the world; but I couldn't have been able to provide her with a family.

All that Bondita saw in her life was her own family members cheating her. Not just cheating, but they even tried to take her life away. What can be more traumatising than realising that the people whom you trust the most are not actually your well-wishers but enemies? Her own uncle who was supposed to take the place of her father, tried to sell her to an old man. When that didn't work, he got ready to sacrifice her life in sati. Then, his wife, who is also a mother of a girl, sold Bondita to a brothel for money. I was at least expecting their daughter Sampoorna to love Bondita like her own sister but no. Even she cheated Bondita and her mother.

Only after coming to Madras I saw Bondita experiencing real love, that is, selfless love without expectating anything from her. She got an elder brother in the form of Subbu, a kaka and kaki in the form of his parents. Even Sumati ma grew mentally stronger than the vulnerable state that she was previously in. All thanks to the Iyers.

I greeted Subbu's father who was sitting in the porch with a religious book, thus gaining the attention of Bondita. She gave her thousand volts smile on seeing me. I gestured with my hand asking her to come and walked into her portion of the house. Bondita followed my footsteps and in no time we were again seated on the floor of their hall.

"Here is a small gift for our Bondita madam.", I said giving her the bag.

She opened the bag and screamed in joy, "Bangles!!!". "What a thoughtful gift sakha babu!", she squealed and took each set to examine closely.

"Wow, these red ones are so bright and have the same lustre as that of my sari. Thank you, thank you, thank you, sakha babu. I love these.", Bondita expressed her joy.

I did not give her costly jewels or precious stones rather a few bangles of glass. Yet, she became very happy as if she had discovered some great treasure. This is another lovable aspect of her character. She is least interested in material possessions. Also, she values things based on the emotions attached to them rather than their monetary price. With each of her virtues being exhibited, my respect and admiration for Bondita is growing multiple folds.

As I drunk in her happiness, she tried to wear all the bangles at a time out of excitement and in the process, pressed and squeezed her palms causing pain to herself rather myself. So, how can Anirudh Roy Chowdhary let that happy? Apparently, I stopped her activity and took her hands in mine. I carefully slid each of the red bangles down her palms along her wrists, filling most part of her forearms. She covered her face with her bangle laden hands showing her mother and me how beautiful they looked.

....................................................................

Here is the next part guys. Do read and comment your views. Don't forget to vote as well.