Chapter-64: Bondita's Gallant Lover In Town

{The title is inspired from the song 'Albela Sajan', meaning charming/unique lover}

"Who are you? And what did you just say?", asked Bondita, shocked at the sudden interruption.

"I said, I choose you to lend my help. At the given moment, your life matters more than my identity.", I told.

"I don't take help from strangers nor do I entertain them in my house. So, it would be better if you introduce yourself even before venturing to talk to us."

"I have different names as such, but people prefer to call me Kaandeshwar, sage Kaandeshwar from Banaras."

My name made Bondita choke over the roshogulla she was eating. Tapur, although surprised, was on the brink of laughing.

"What kind of a name is that?", asked Bondita, trying to normalise her breath and gulping down the spiralling laughter along with the roshogulla remnants in her mouth.

"Silly girls", I shouted, "stop making fun of your guest and display some manners taught by your parents."

The girls were taken aback at the change in my tone, but Bondita being the brave one, took few steps towards me and said, "Forgive us sir; we don't mean to mock or insult you. But I am still curious to know, why did you take all the trouble of travelling from Banaras to Bengal?"

"Only for you, Devi."

She widened her eyes as a reflex.

I rephrased my feelings as, "It is the God who decides whom we should meet and when. As a part of his eternal plan, I am here for you today, to show you the right path. Will you cooperate?"

"No thanks. I can help myself."

"Can you, for sure?", I asked, looking deep into her eyes.

"Isn't it strange that you're showing so much interest in a random person's life? Moreover, you want me to believe that you came all the way from Kashi to Krishnanagar to help me out? Sorry sir, I don't believe in people like you, although I have immense respect for the sages and saints that are portrayed in our mythologies. I can see very well that you are not of that kind. Thus, taking your dignity into consideration, leave this place at the earliest; though not before taking the alms.", saying this, Bondita summoned Tapur to get some grains of rice, fruits and money.

"Your eyes are as wide as that of the goddess, but it seems you don't use them to their full potential. Can't you see the impending danger hovering around you? Or is it that you are expecting your sakha babu to save you this time as well?"

Bondita widened her eyes even more. "How do you know him?"

I was enjoying Bondita's impatience and thought of teasing her further.

"I am not called a sage just like that. I have the knowledge of time and space, past, present and future. Anyway, your barrister brain will not believe my words, so there's no use of explanation. However, your belief and disbelief will not change the fact that your sakha babu has already left Bengal to live in exile for the next six months.", I declared.

Tears pooled in her lovely eyes as she shook a little, trying to digest the news. I saw the pain of separation and shattering of hope on her face. I cursed myself so much for causing tears in her eyes that I said in regret, "What kind of a horrible man is your sakha babu? He is troubling you even when he is not around. Why do you even love that undesirable man who had troubled you all these years and never cared about your feelings?"

This time, Bondita looked at me intently, emitting fire through her eyes.

"I will burn you alive if you utter another word against my sakha babu.", Bondita yelled, "Already I am having a hard time to control my growing impatience only to respect your age and the get-up that you donned. However, I will not spare anyone who tries to insult my sakha babu and that too, a fraudster like you. Take his name every minute so that you may at least gain a bit of his purity. I know that you are a fraud sage who has come here for money or food and eavesdropped on our conversation to get the details about my life. Even then, I thought of sending you away with dignity after filling your bag with food and money. But you have ignited the fire of rage in me. Now only that goddess can help you."