The Dark Knight

The Halloween homecoming dance had finally arrived. Last year, Chantel was dressed as a vampire and her mother had totally freaked out. Susan's exact words were: you look like a bloodsucking killer. This year in lieu of Brooke Bluebell death, a list of non-acceptable costumes had been listed on the bulletin board. That includes: vampires, werewolves, monsters etc. There was also going to be a small police presence and students were not allowed to sneak off the school premises.

Chantel was dressed up as Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby, with the tip of a black liner she made a tiny fake mole on her cheek. She looked almost like the actress in the movie, almost. The only thing missing was a giant diamond ring on her ring finger.

"How do I look?" She asked her mother as she did a little twirl.

Susan was cleaning the kitchen island, with a cleaning spray and a cloth. "Honey," her mother beamed. "You look stunning."

"Thank you," she showed her mother the photo of the actress. "I'm dressed as Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby."

"You look so much like her," her mother gaped. "Except for the hair."

"I know mom," she nodded. "But I didn't want to wear a wig."

"So who's the lucky guy?" Susan asked sheepishly.

"Rome's taking me." She replied adjusted her glittering headpiece.

The look on her mother's face gave it all away. Don't you have any other guy to hang out with? Except Roman Godfrey! Before her mother could say something to spoil her mood, as if in agreement the door bell rang. Susan quickly advanced towards the door. 

"Good evening Mrs Channing." Roman greeted as he saw the woman.

"Evening Roman," her mother replied not so enthusiastically.

Chantel picked up her purse and walked towards them. Roman gave her, his full attention. "Listen here angel, I don't know what you did to Chantel but we're not leaving until you spill, see."

Chantel let out a chuckle, "and what are you supposed to be?"

Roman was looking all dapper, if her mother wasn't around she'd have pinched his cheeks. No one looks that cute with a bow tie, except, Roman Godfrey.

"Unimpeachable." He winked as he offered his hand. "Shall we sweetheart?"

Susan looked as if she'd drank something fermented.

Chantel smiled as she took his hand. "Mom," she handed her phone to Susan, "picture please."

Her mother took a picture and handed Chantel the phone back. "Be home on time. No drinking. No straying. Stay with your girls." Susan reminded her again.

"I know, mom. Jeez!" Chantel exhaled. "Take a chill pill."

"I'll take good care of her, Mrs Channing." Roman nodded as Susan closed the door, "you better."

"That was annoying." Chantel muttered as they walked towards the car.

"Comparing to my mom," Roman reminded her. "Yours is an angel."