Whispered something in your ear

Lukes Country Club was a member only club, the kind of place where the socialites of Hemlock Grove hang around to play golf, ride horses or have fancy meals. Chantel was astonished that Susan Channing was a part of the club, she'd never mentioned to her daughter about being part of it until they pulled up outside the club.

"So this is where you have your Sunday brunches these days?" Chantel asked her mother as she adjusted her sun hat.

Susan smiled at her, "sometimes and there are horses here."

Chantel beamed, horses were her animal. Back at boarding school, her favourite pastime activity apart from reading and listening to music was horseback riding.

"Hello," a fine Asian man greeted them, he was fair with black hair, dark eyes and wore a grey suit.

Susan introduced them. "Meet Dr Johann Pryce, and Johann my daughter Chantel."

Dr Pryce shook Chantel's hand, "finally we meet, I've heard a great deal about you from your mother."

Chantel shook his hand, "nice to meet you Dr Pryce."

"Call me, Johann." He chuckled softly.

Chantel gave him a light nod. Did her mother bring her here for brunch or to introduce her to—her future step father?

They headed towards the open dinning area next to the enormous pool and beyond, the beautiful view of the garden. The tables were filled with families, couples and business groups. The waiter guided them towards their table—there Chantel saw Shelley, Roman and a lady seated in a round table at the center besides the water fountain.

For goodness sake? Were they going to have brunch with the Godfrey's? She wanted to bail. Roman's gaze caught hers as a devilish smile passed his perfect face. Does he know?

The three figures looked up as Pryce appeared with Chantel and Susan. "Hello Mrs Channing," the lady in the beautiful white lace dress spoke.

"Hi Mrs Godfrey, my daughter Chantel." Susan introduced Chantel to the hottest woman alive, who was Roman's and Shelley mother.

Olivia gave Chantel half a smile as she shook her hand, "my darlings have been talking about you lately."

Chantel shook her hand with a smile on her face. What things? But she couldn't make herself ask.

Roman patted the empty chair besides him, "I've reserved a seat for you sweetheart."

Chantel could feel her cheeks heating up but she tried her best to remain cool and sat in between him and Shelley.

Roman was fiddling with a spoon, and she was just staring at him like he was the menu

Roman was fiddling with a spoon, and she was just staring at him like he was the menu. There was something about him that makes it impossible to look away and the platinum ring on his finger, the one he always wore. Was it a family heirloom? A fashion statement? Or a gift from a lover?