Riptide

Lucky for Chantel Channing she'd carried the pack of cigarettes to school, unlucky for her she'd left her strips of sleeping pills on her bedside table drawer. Her mother don't usually go through her stuffs, so she had no intentions to hide them and now she was caught—ever since her emotional breakdown she'd not been having the pills but Susan was not buying her story instead, she was so infuriated about everything that—she started blaming Roman Godfrey yet again.

Susan thinks that the boy had been a bad influence in her daughter's life and ever since Chantel befriended him, her life was going downhill. That wasn't true but Susan doesn't get it, she just wanted someone to blame—she couldn't accept the fact that Chantel had demons of her own, guess, like every other parent out there—even Susan wants to think that her child was without flaw.

She was grounded, and her mother forbade her to even drop by the manor to check on Roman, no surprise. She had to go to school and come straight back home. Chantel was furious at her mother but this was inevitable and as much as she wanted to see Roman, she knew she can't go on breaking the rules because her mother might put her back in rehab—she couldn't wait to turn eighteen.

But Shelley did FaceTime her every night so that she could at least see Roman, even though he's in a coma. Seeing him and hearing the beep of the machine, soothes Chantel's grieving heart. She looked at him as a friend until she realised she loved him. And she was so afraid to lose him even when she knew, he wasn't hers to lose.

Chantel didn't know what to wear when she rose up, or maybe, she was just losing her will to go on. "Alexa play hold on by Justin Bieber," she said.

"Playing hold on by Justin Bieber," the virtual assistant responded as the music started to play.

She picked up the denim dungaree she brought over the summers and never got the chance to wear. "Today's the day," she said to herself as she wore her white tank top and put her dungaree on. She tied her hair up in a high ponytail and had her medications, at least she looks good on the outside even though she felt terrible within.

• Hemlock Grove High School •

"It's almost like a dream, we're all just passing through the motions of our days like shadow puppets or ghosts of who we were." Chantel said softly as she and Shelley walked across the crowded hallway.

Shelley typed something on her tab, the voice responded. "I miss him too."

Chantel looked up at the tall girl, "think anything can ever be the same?"

Shelley just looked down on Chantel with knitted brows.

"See you later." Chantel tipped toed and caressed her cheek gently, Shelley glowed with a smile.

Chantel advanced towards the cafeteria, she wasn't sleeping or eating properly and she felt exhausted as shit. She needed a can of redbull so that she don't pass out. She sat alone in the cafeteria, sipping the energy drink recollecting old times; her first meeting with Roman Godfrey at Pennsylmania was annoying, he was too flirtatious and cocky. Their second meeting at the nursery was just tragic—she actually witnessed him fucking a girl in board daylight. Then came their third meeting, where something unexpected happened:

On her first day of school, Gia offered to drive her to school and show her around since Chantel was a newbie. Chantel didn't really know what to wear because in boarding school, they all wore uniforms but Gia had told her to dress up as herself. So she wore a micro black body con dress with a navy blue oversized varsity jacket, her hair tied low with a white ribbon.

When Gia had seen her, she'd commented that girls in high school don't usually show their legs but most of them don't know how to dress and mostly wear boring clothes. Except for the cheerleaders and the sworn twins, who were a pain in the ass. Gia's style was boho and it really matched with her personality. The first thing Chantel noticed as she got out of the car was people eyeing her, she was a newbie no wonder and her hair was very light. Everywhere she goes, her hair catches everyone's attention.