The price of grief

"And then they posted all these pictures of Ellie Caruso where she's like in the background and doesn't know that there's a camera there, and she's about to shove this big sandwich in her face, and it got all these comments and likes and stuff, an...

"And then they posted all these pictures of Ellie Caruso where she's like in the background and doesn't know that there's a camera there, and she's about to shove this big sandwich in her face, and it got all these comments and likes and stuff, and then she ended up in hospital for like starving herself and ripping out a bunch of her hair." Christina Wendall explained the story of what Alexa and Alyssa Sworn did to Ellie Caruso as she munched on the sour patch  gummy's.

Peter sipped his beer in disbelief. "Girls!"

"And here I am talking about them behind their backs, and I'm their best friend." She continued, "I just...it's like senior year is coming up so suddenly and everything has to be a million times more weird and complicated and sad, I don't get it."

Chantel agreed with a nod as she browsed through the comment section.

Peter sighed heavily, "look, Hemingway, girls get to a certain age and it's sort of like a...like a freight train without a conductor. Every fucked up thing that you're feeling right now, pretty much every chick in the universe had come through it all right—mostly." He turned to Chantel, "right?"

"She's one of the popular girls in school," Christina mentioned. "A cheerleader."

Peter smacked his lips, "from the very first day I could tell, she's the popular type."

"Being a cheerleader doesn't make someone popular," Chantel lifted her head up from her phone.

Christina pointed out. "But being with Roman Godfrey does."

"You mean the heir of the Godfrey Empire?" Peter's mouth agape.

"FYI." Chantel quoted with her fingers, "we're not together, together."

Peter furrowed his brows. "What does that even mean?"

Chantel got a ping on her phone, it was Roman. "Speak of the devil."

Peter craned his neck, "what's that?" He asked curiously as he saw the picture.

"White truffles," Chantel explained. "He brought some few pounds so we can add to our snacks for movie night."

"Goodness gracious," Peter rubbed his jaws. "So this is how the one percent, blow their dollars."

Chantel chuckled lightly at that remark, it was true in a way. She texted Roman back, she'll meet him in an hour.

Christina leaned back tossing a gummy into her mouth, "I just feel like the more I try to understand the world, the more of a stranger it makes me feel." She said in between her chews. "I hate it. I hate not feeling like other people."

"So what?" Peter looked at her, "you'd rather be normal, you're abnormal as fucking balls!"

Christina laughed.

Chantel looked at Peter amused. "Pete, that's the worst pick up line I've ever heard."

Peter chuckled.