Chapter 9: Guard Dog

"Pibby, I need you to stay quiet. . . I have a feelin' we aren't alone." I muttered softly.

"What do you mean?"

"I think he knows we're here."

"Who?"

"Jake. . . Finn must've sent him to look for us."

Pibby was quick to place her hand over her mouth to keep quiet tears filling her eyes as she used her free hand to grab hold of mine.

I kept a firm grip onto her hand as I looked from the corner of the wall we had been hiding behind noticing that the library was right behind Jake.

There's the library, but how are we going to reach it without making noise? What can I do to distract Jake to get him out the way of the entrance? I hate to do this to myself but I'll be the distraction.

"Pibby, I'm going to need your help with something dangerous."

"Nikki, what are you planning?"

"I'm going to distract Jake, I'm going to need you to gun straight for the library and take shelter until I get there."

"Nikki, are you crazy? What happens when you can't make it?"

"I have 8 extra lives Pibby, I'm a cat after all."

"Wait, you're a cat person? I never knew that. What happened to your other life?"

"I lost it trying to rescue Finn from a monster, got killed. . . Well impaled by jagged rocks, came back with half my memory gone."

"Yikes." She winced at the thought, "That must suck."

"It's whatever, if I die now I can restart at the last place we were at and try again."

I huffed before looking back at Jake, now looking down at Pibby.

"Once I give you the signal make a straight run for the library, hide and wait for me but if I'm not there DON'T look for me."

"Why not?" Pibby asked defensively, "I just can't leave you behind."

"It's for both our sakes, I know I'm going to be torn apart by Jake and I can't have you try finding me when he's still around." I protested, "I'm going to come back."

Pibby wanted to yell at me so bad, there was a lot of pent up anger in her body but she realized we had to be quiet. I knelt down and placed a gentle kiss onto her forehead standing up and letting go of her hand.

I took a sudden breath of distilled air facing where Jake stood, looking back at Pibby and to Jake again.

"Hey Jake! Missed me?" I yelled grabbing his sudden attention, "Because I sure as hell missed you too."

He was quick to pounce on me sinking his teeth right into my arm ripping the flesh clean off of it causing me to yell in pain.

"Now Pibby!" I yelled to her, "I got him as distracted as he can be right now."

She nodded and made a run for the library taking shelter under a table waiting for me to find her.

I winced in pain as kicked Jake off of me and limped my way towards the library until I felt him clamp down onto my leg ripping a bit more flesh from my leg.

I tried using my free leg to kick him off again, but it was no use. . . I could feel the burn setting in, and I couldn't stand much longer.

Blood loss, you're losing too much blood. . . You've lost so much, and now you won't be there for Pibby like you promised her. . .
You're such an idiot. . .

I soon passed out in a big pool of my own blood once Jake had let go of my leg, my breathing had slowed down eyes heavy.

Did I really fail everyone I hold dear? Is Pibby still mad at me?

Only time will tell. . . Only I can be the judge of my own actions.