❥007

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

mavis couldn't help but question why chris got up and walked off so pissed about the fact that she wasn't going to come to tryouts.

she contemplated whether or not she should show up, but ultimately chose to go against it, knowing it would probably only make things worse, and get the both of them angrier than they already were.

chris on the other hand, was all over the place.

he was a nervous wreck, but he blamed it on the fact that he performed so terrible at practice when mavis was there.

would he choke under pressure again? was he not as good as everyone made him out to be?

he shook off the negative thoughts, and made his way over to the locker room as soon as the final bell of the day rang throughout the school.

he went straight over to matt and eddie, who were already getting dressed.

"chris, i'm gonna tear this shit up thanks to you, i really appreciate you helping me out and coaching me man." eddie pulled him in for a small hug.

"it's no problem eddie, you didn't need much working on anyway, it's all you." chris replied, patting his back.

"you feeling better now?" matt asked his brother.

"yeah, yeah i'm good. so it's just nick and briar?" he asked, earning a weird look from matt.

"yeah, mavis said she wasn't coming, remember?" matt stated as if it were obvious.

"no i know, i just wanted to make sure she wasn't gonna show up and fuck me up again." chris said.

"it wasn't mavis that messed you up dude, i think you were just mad she was there and you couldn't control your emotions." eddie shrugged his shoulders.

was he just mad? yes, eddie was right. he didn't necessarily care that she was watching him, he was just angry at the fact she thought she could come watch when she always bashed the sport he loves.

chris nearly sighed of relief when he finally drew this conclusion. he was so familiar with their hatred for one another that it almost felt like being reassured, reassured that nothing had changed.

he decided his weird behaviour and feelings about her actually being there all stemmed from this familiar concept, his hate for the girl.

now his world was balanced again, it was like it had always felt. he put on a smug grin after pulling his jersey over his head, before yelling a quick 'let's go!' for the boys before they all jogged out to the field.

once they got onto the field, each of the boys scanned the small crowd who came to watch tryouts, spotting their two friends.

briar was waving enthusiastically, while nick gave a much more awkward wave from next to her, chuckling at her excitement.

matt and chris both took notice of the fact that nick was primarily watching eddie, but they left it alone.

the coach started out by having them run drills along the field, and chris was feeling more and more confident as they went on.

he had always been the most agile as well as the fastest guy on the team, and he felt comfortable once he got going, like he was home again.

he noticed cara screaming his name from the sidelines, barely batting an eye at her presence. she was blowing kisses and clapping while jumping up and down, and chris kind of hated it.