❥020

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

"okay mave, what is going on with you?" matt raised a brow at the girl as they sat in the school library together, both having left their current classes to meet up per matt's request.

"what do you mean?" she asked, finding his question a little intimidating.

"i mean what is going on with you? you're acting like you and chris are friends. i know i told you to be there for him, but you don't need to push yourself this far past your boundaries. i know how you feel about him and no one is expecting you to go to these lengths for him." matt explained, running a hand through his hair.

"i know that, but honestly, somebody needs to help him with his grades. it's not fair for him to not have a future just because he doesn't have lacrosse anymore." said mavis.

"you swear you're fine with this?" he asked again, trying to make absolutely sure his best friend was good with the situation.

"i swear." mavis held a hand out towards matt.

he couldn't help but flash a smile. he was so proud of her for putting aside her old feud with his brother and doing her best to help him out even when he had never treated her properly.

his hand latched onto hers as they did their handshake they had made in the fifth grade, and the two of them felt okay when they looked at each other.

this was something mavis believed she could only ever get from matt. with everyone else it was just different, but especially with chris now.

when mavis was alone with chris she always felt a little... on edge, never quite fully comfortable you could say. while some may think that she holds onto the past too much, her history with chris is so deeply rooted within her that she has a hard time escaping it.

there was always that pesky thought at the back of her head. knowing at any given point chris could remember everything about her.

he could hate her again.

that was why she was always a little uncomfortable, because she didn't want to let herself start to turn around from how she felt before just for him to turn it back around once more.

"okay, i think we should head back to class." said matt, standing up from his seat.

"yeah, sure." mavis agreed, being snapped out of her train of thought.

the two walked down the hallway together until they reached the part where they had to split up, where they separated and finished off their last class of the day.

"thank god that shit is over with." chris spoke like he had just gotten out of jail after a ten year sentence.

"it's not over with, i'm tutoring you remember? that means we have to study after school." mavis reminded him, causing him to groan loudly.

"but i don't understand any of it! the entire day i sat there like a fucking moron and everyone kept looking at me like i was some sort of freak." chris complained, kicking his feet at the ground as he and mavis made their way out through the school doors.