STYE 1

Past Time, in another Life...

" Pfff..." A little wobbly the small frame that lay on the mattress place in the right corner of and empty and totally waste bedroom , pushed what seemed to be left of the strength of her tiny body's to disconnect it to the mattress.

Hunger was no game, she thought her small face scrunching, she could feel her bowels moved inside of her belly protesting to be empty by the lack of food, all her body vibrating in a weird tune, like life was being sucked out of her.

"Nothing new." She thought caressing her small belly half knelt in a prayer position, she knew that was how life was for her, no need to complain.

Another sound made her moved her eyes toward the door, immediately closing them in despair reminded of what woke her in the first place. Shuddering in anger she took a fist of her old bedsheets holding it tightly for a moment to regain control of herself.

Like every morning the feinted sounds of sniffing mixed with the chirping of the birds outside woke her with the same question " Why is it like this?" But thinking quickly with what was left of her cognitive sense she sighed softly knowing what she had to do.

Standing on her feet she did her best to not wake her two little siblings knowing it was best if they slept as long as they could. That, she knew could lower their level of hunger at least less foods to give to them in the meantime, which they didn't have, they could sleep through breakfast time like they always do.

Doing her best to attenuate the sound the scratching of the old metallic door of their bedroom made on the ground, she exited the claustrophobic space closing it behind her for the younger ones to not go out unnoticed. They tend to do that and their mother didn't like it at all, given the poor state of the neighborhood in which they lived, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Tiptoing through the corridor, she finally arrived in front of the door where the sniffing came from feeling her heart hurt in her chest while she felt powerless she leaned her head on the cold metallic door resting on it a moment like all the other days, the sensation made her body vibrated for it was so cold, everything was in their house at least it wasn't the hardest they had ever seen.

Breathing heavily she walked away from the sound knowing she couldn't do anything for her mother other than trying to get sometimes for them to eat for the day or more when they get lucky.

The corridor wasn't that long, tapping her fingers on the wall as she walked along, the sound of her footsteps on the ground playing as music to her ears, she finally entered in the small room that served both as living room and kitchen, she didn't know the concept of American open space, but what was sure was that it wasn't something that carry elegance or beauty. She knew it by the memory of better houses in town.

Theirs was blank, like their bedroom, no decorations, nothing at all. From ceiling to the floor nothing particular but a big but very old fabric, covering the ground making it less cold, that the store man of the township bazard was kind enough to give her one day knowing their situation. An old stove in the right corner, which help them sometime to do foods , one pot and plates near it, all of it was donate by good souls she like to think at least some truly was.

Smiling through her sadness she wiped away the annoying tear that pushed it way through her eyes, she didn't had time to feel sorry for herself, she knew life could be better, that it was better actually, base on what she could see in others houses or when women go back to their homes baskets full with foods.

Ah! Foods only the mention of it made stye stomach mumbling a "don't forget about me" song, shaking her head confident that she could come back with something to eat like she does most of the time, she quickly wore her sucks and rather new black Converse. Caressing them she made a toothy smile, those she loved them to death, she remembered the day she first wore them.

A lady had took pity of her, in fact she was gawking at them from the outside of the store, her forehead leaned on the wall to ceiling glass separating her to the newly exposed shoes her palm caressing it slowly on the glass dreamily. The want may have been so strong that a young lady had took pity of her, maybe because of the worn out basket that barely covered her toes anymore or the fact that she was afraid she may caught death in the cold weather going on that day.

The thing is the owner who knew Stye came out of the store handing her with a big smile, a brand new bag with the converse she was admiring minutes earlier inside, pointing toward the car two women were disappeared in, she could just caught the stare the younger one gave her before entering their luxurious car.

Amazed, she didn't had time to feel sorry for attracting people pity, it was a good day, her mother cried like always but thanks the universe for the gift, at least she didn't has to worry about her child not having shoes anymore, she had said.

Taking her big jacket, smiling at the forever memory, she wore it feeling warmer, her clothes and her sister's was mostly all Mrs Barnes children's that she donated. That family was a gift for them! She thought.

Shaking her head feeling confident on this new day, she wrapped her scarf around her neck, put her tote bag with one shoulder strap around her neck and shoulders to have her hand free while pushing the front door open, humming as soon as the fresh air hit her face, the day was so nice despite the persistent dew.

Fixing her large hat to prevent her haircut to get wet, she started walking. Which by the ways was something that calmed her head, she sometimes forgot all others feelings, sadness, hungriness or sorrow even.

The joy she felt at the sight of mother nature was something that amazed everyone around her and make all the community be sympathetic with her family.

They liked to say she was a natural, not that she knew what that means, but Mr Barnes said it was all positive, so she believed it, he never lies to her before, there was no way she couldn't trust him with that.

The departure of her father left them vulnerable but at least they cope by grace. A bird swirled nearby making her laughted as she ascended the small hill that separate their small cottage from the village, doing her best to not be seen by the band of young people that were always squatting the small river spot, even if they never disturb her she knew to not trust drugged people, be them the sweetest while sober.

The day was not something different from the other but I was for her, to see the beauty in the the nature, a leaf that flies to land on the ground, the way the wind made thing move was what enchanted her to no end.

Stye like to dream, and when she does it, it was always bigger than the life she had, or life in general. Mr Barnes, the butcher of the village who like to see and listen her story always says "Stye I wish you had another life because you could do so many thing! What the imagination you have in that small head of yours!"

At that Stye would smile big nodding her head vigorously, what Mr Barnes didn't know was that she really think she will make it in life, maybe like he said her life didn't seem like it but she was confident.

Following the direction from where a sound was coming from in the sky, her eyes followed the trajectory of the plane that was going by not far away from where she was, she ran wildly on top of the small hill that gave a good view of the village because of its high pick, not afraid to fall, stood there until the plane disappeared behind the big cloud.

Dreamily, she wondered if the people inside could see her, where they could all possibly go, how the life was like for them. Maybe wonderful, with lots of the things they did not have. Maybe.

The infinite possibilities of life, its unfinish creations, the length of the powers of what create life was something that made her feel dizzy with wonder. There was something or someone behind all of that. She called it her guardian angel. Sometimes she spoke to it, just like that, like she was in someone else presence, feeling it follows and be with her every second of her life. She was young but she knew. People did say she had a good start.

Green eyes pierced the horizon seeking response that she knew somewhere was hide, she promised herself to find them, one day.

"Yes, one day you will show them to me. Mama call you the infinite Love, Mr Barnes said they call you God and differently in other place of the Earth. For me whatever you name is I prefer what Mama said, you are Love! Yeah that has no color! No differences!"

Waving bye at the long gone plane wishing good luck to all its occupants, she inhaled and exalted the fresh air like some will do with the must wonderful fragrance before turning her back to the view, moving on with her day.