Chapter Seven

(When I say I adore this chapter 😍)

Shawn listened carefully as Leo patiently explained to him about bowling.

"Don't be stressed about it. We are only having fun." His words were soothing as Shawn stood to go for his turn. He had tried twice already and sucked at it. The last thing he wanted was to embarrass Leo.

"Yeah, yeah." He grumbled as he stood. He could feel a headache coming on; people at the bowling alley were very loud. There was shouting and cheering from different lanes. It was rather overwhelming, and it did not help that he kept failing miserably.

He tried again for the third time, only catching the pin on the very edge. He cursed, running a hand through his hair as he made his way to Leo with a moody look.

"Calm down." Leo soothed, grasping his hips. Shawn was surprised when the male pulled him to sit on his lap.
"Is the game frustrating you so much or is it something else?"

The gentleness to his tone irritated Shawn seeing as he was already irked.
"I'm fine!" He snapped. It was a surprise not to hear a click. Instead, Leo's hand gently brushed along his hip as Veronica stood to bowl.

"Shawn, what is wrong?" Leo's tone was slightly firmer, yet his hand continued gently rubbing just beneath the band of his sweatpants.

Shawn desperately wanted to snap at him, to make a snarky remark. Yet it was clear Leo was trying to help.
"It's loud." Shawn mumbled the words and Leo seemed surprised before he nodded and stood, placing Shawn onto the couch beside him. His gym bag was pulled onto his lap and he dug around before pulling out a set of headphones. Shawn felt it was stupid to get overwhelmed when he frequently spent time at the club with his friends. Yet he would drink on those occasions...on just about any occasion, actually. It was part of why he had a drinking problem; it helped him to relax and to let go without a care for any consequences.

"Here. Let's put these on. You can listen to music if the crowd around here is overwhelming you." He crouched down in front of Shawn, pulling the headphones over his head so the muffles rested on his ears. The sound around Shawn immediately lessened and his eyes fluttered closed. It definitely helped not having so much going on at once.
"Better?" Leo's voice was muffled and he gave a small nod. Though he was surprised when Leo's phone was placed into his hands with a Playlist of music pulled up. Shawn hesitantly selected the 'shuffle' option.

"Thank you." He mumbled the words and Leo nodded, placing a light kiss against his forehead. His small signs of affection always seemed to catch Shawn off guard, yet he allowed it as his eyes returned to the scoreboard. It was Leo's turn again. It was irksome how Leo easily got a strike before he moved to sit beside him.

"Go ahead." He didn't even hear the words, Leo's mouth moving before he pointed to the balls. Shawn stood, taking a deep breath. He grasped a ball before making his way to bowl.

"Is he okay?" Leo glanced at Veronica who appeared the slightest bit concerned. He only offered her a smile and a nod.

"He is fine. He has a lot going on and the loudness here overwhelmed him." He explained as he watched Shawn roll the ball. This time, he knocked down half the pins. Yet on his second try, he only hit one which meant he took a total of six.

"He seems rather moody compared to your usual company." Jax commented and Leo let put a quiet chuckle, nodding as Shawn returned to the group. He held his arms out and could not say he was very shocked when Shawn pushed past him to plop onto the couch beside him.

"You should choose someone else to play with you." Shawn huffed and Leo tilted his head, lightly placing his hand on his thigh.

"Perhaps. I wouldn't be losing if I did. But I also wouldn't have you on my team." He chuckled quietly, squeezing his thigh before his eyes flickered to his friends.