Chapter Fifteen

(I am sharing this chapter now because it is just a short blurb about Shawn's time in prison! This chapter will pass quickly, but I do hope you enjoy it :) )

Shawn could hardly describe how he felt when he was sentenced to one year with probation. Relieved, perhaps, would be the best way to describe it. He had been dreading the sentence he would be given, but Leo had taken the time to help him obtain a lawyer. Something Shawn had been object to, demanding why in the hell he would need one when he was pleading guilty. Leo had simply rolled his eyes and explained that the lawyer would be able to help with his sentencing for his guilty plea.

Yet now he found himself in the prison with little to no knowledge on how he would be treated. It was difficult to remind himself that he only needed to survive for one year, yet he knew that one year alone could be hell. His cell mate was quiet and kept to himself, which he was thankful for. When Shawn first entered the cell, he had been sitting on the top bunk and ignored the guard as he was pushed inside. Shawn had noticed he had black hair and stubble on his chin. He had muscles, that much Shawn could see, as well as scars along his arms. Despite that, he was clearly older in age. Perhaps in his forties.

As soon as the guard was gone, the man introduced himself and laid down his rules.

Rules were something he could understand, at least. Leo had helped with that much, a thought which had made him laugh at the time. His cell mate had introduced himself as Max, and his rules were rather simple.

Rule 1: Do not mess with anything on the top bunk. It belonged to him and only him.

Rule 2: Do not look at him in any gay manner. It was something that had made Shawn scoff, informing the male that he was hardly his type.

Rule 3: When it is lights out, Shawn had better not disrupt his sleep unless it was life or death. Shawn doubted that rule would be difficult to follow.

Rule 4: Be respectful of his religion. It was something that had confused Shawn at first, but he realized that Max would pray every morning and every night over his bible. Shawn had little interest in breaking that rule.

Rule 5: Do not associate with some man named Winston. The statement had Shawn raising a brow, yet the look he had been given was one for no questions ask. So, he had simply nodded and agreed.

Rule 6: He could eat with him and his friends in the prison, but he 'had best not embarrass' Max. The man had been firm in that.

The rules seemed simple, and he agreed to follow them without argument. If that was all it took to get along with his cellmate, then he saw no reason not to follow them. Max seemed to be a decent person, but Shawn did not dare to ask why he was in there. Just the same, Max did not ask him, which he found himself relieved for. It could be dangerous if word got out that he was in there for rape.

On his first day, he had begun working on his first letter to Leo. He wrote about Max, explaining his new list of 'rules', and he added a laughing face next to it. He also wrote about how nervous he felt to be there, especially for an entire year. It was not much to write, yet it was something at the least. He ended it with 'Please, write back to me soon.'

It felt odd to say that he felt he would miss Leo. He had grown accustomed to his presence. There was one plus side he had found so far of being in prison; he had no way to get alcohol and drinks, which meant there was no temptation around him.

One night, he and Max were laying in their respective beds, and Shawn had his hands laced behind his head.
"Hey, Max?"

"Hn?"

"You pray every morning and every night. Why is that?" He was not trying to be disrespectful. He even hoped the question wasn't. To his relief, it earned him a quiet chuckle before that familiar, raspy voice spoke.