Chapter Eighteen

(Please share your thoughts as you read!)

Leo stared down at Shawn as he slept in the hospital bed, his fingers gently stroking along his skin before he lifted his hand to gently kiss his palm. He was careful in lifting it, his lips thinning at the sight of the bruises on his wrists as well as the small cuts on his hands.

"You beautiful little idiot." Leo mumbled the words before he gently lowered his arm back to his chest and stood. He withdrew his phone from his pocket and made his way out into the hallway where he called Cade's number once more. He expected Cade to answer, but he was surprised to hear Victor's voice.

"H-Hey," Victor spoke quietly, and Leo let out a quiet chuckle as he leaned against the wall.

"Hey, kid. We found Shawn."

"How is he?" Victor's voice was laced with concern, and Leo's lips thinned as he shook his head.

"Like shit." He admitted lowly, running a hand through his hair.
"It was pretty bad. When I got there, Chance had a gun to his head." Leo grunted.

"A gun?" Victor's voice rose slightly in disbelief, and Leo nodded.

"Yeah. We are at Mercy Hospital now."

"Look, Cade and I... We are going to come up there. Is that okay?" Victor sounded uncertain, and Leo frowned, considering the question before he nodded.

"Yeah. Room 313." With that, he hung up the phone and made his way back into the room. He was surprised to find Shawn's eyes were open, and he was slowly glancing around. When his gaze fell onto Leo, his eyes watered, and he held his arms out to him.
"Hey, beautiful."

Leo' voice was soft as he made his way over and leaned down, his arms carefully enveloping him into a hug. His soon sat back down in his chair, taking Shawn's hand in his. He did not even know where to begin with his questions, and so he decided to be honest, blunt. Shawn was used to that from him.

"I am furious, Shawn." He said lowly, not missing how the male's eyes lowered.
"You were writing to me every day, and then the last letter you wanted nothing to do with me?" He demanded.

"I thought you would be better off. I just... I wanted to do what was right, Leo. I thought that I could become a better person for you without dragging you down." Shawn admitted softly, his hand pulling Leo's onto his lap where he could touch each of his fingers.
"I suppose I got what I deserve -"

"Do not say that." Leo cut him off with a firm voice, his eyes narrowing.
"Shawn, the doctor's made note of a lot of injuries on you. You had some broken ribs, even. They ran a rape kit -"

"He always used a condom." Shawn said quietly, his fingers trembling now as he held them.

"Maybe inside you, but you still had...stuff on your skin. They took samples and photos. You seemed...well, you seemed pretty out of it when they were doing it. Do you remember?" Shawn gave a shake of his head at the question. He hardly remembered the previous night after he had seen Leo for the first time in a long time.

"I did not want to have sex with him, Leo. I tried to think of you." He admitted quietly, his eyes flickering to his before falling back to the hand he was playing with.
"Sometimes, I would wonder if that was how Victor felt." A bitter laugh fell from his feet, though he was startled when the door opened, and a nurse came in with a tray of food which was left for him.

"Shawn, this is not what you deserved." Leo said firmly to him, squeezing his hand.
"You served your time for what you did."

"Maybe by the legal system that was enough. Maybe God thought I deserved worse." Shawn said quietly as he watched Leo begin to open the food plates for him to reveal breakfast.
"How long... How long was I with him?"