16: E-mail

❝Dearest Taehyung,

Hope you are doing fine these days. I haven't seen you in a while. You might remember me. My name is Lee Minjoon, your Uncle Lee.

The police are suspecting me in a case related to murder. I had no other option but to mail you.

Honestly, I don't even know if you still use this email address. However, I don't have your contact information, so I had to reach out to you.

Let's go back to the case. I would have tried to contact you in any way possible but I don't have the strength to do that anymore.

I am paralyzed on my left side and can only walk around a little bit in my house so I couldn't visit you.

It would have been better if I had talked to you about this face to face but there is no way I can do that. So I am mailing you.

Before explaining the problem let me tell you something first. You might remember that I wasn't married when you last met me.

Currently, I am not married and have no heirs. I have three villas in the Itaewon district. I live in one and the other two are rented out to tenants.

The other two villas are located exactly on the opposite side of my villa, which means that my villa is facing the other two. There is a main door in the front. However, between the two houses, there is a passageway through which someone can enter either of the two houses through the huge sliding window. It was huge enough for a person to use it as a door.

I have appointed a caregiver, Min Sungjae. He takes care of me since I can't do much by myself. I am paralyzed so I cannot walk out of the house.

My life has been trapped within the walls of my villa. You might remember how active I was before but now I cannot run around anymore. But my curiosity is still alive.

So the whole day, I sat in front of my window and looked out at the people walking on the streets. I bought a pair of binoculars. I use it to peek at the view far away.

Using the binoculars I have plenty of interesting views inside others' houses. But most importantly I can keep track of the tenants of my villas.

Those who have the means attend movie theatres to watch movies but I sit beside my window and watch the everyday flow of human life.

If I tell you everything I have seen, you will probably be surprised and enjoy it but let us keep it a secret until another time.

About half a month ago, a young lady came to meet me. She was short and had blonde bobbed hair. Her face was round and wore expensive clothing. She stood beside the door and introduced herself as Kang Sunbin and asked me if she could come in.

I was reading the newspaper while sitting beside the window and allowed her to get in. She took a chair and sat in front of me.

I asked her what she was here for and she pointed outside the window. I followed her direction and looked at where she was gesturing at. She pointed to my villa and told me that she wants to rent the villa.

The villa was empty for a week. The previous tenants messed up the interior but I renovated it a few days ago. I decided that until and unless I get suitable tenants I won't rent it out.

The lady seemed disciplined and well-behaved. Her appearance appeared as well. I asked her what she does for a living. She said that she works for a media company, works all night, and sleeps all day. After saying that she chuckled a bit.

I asked her if she would be living alone in the huge villa. She shook her head and said that she will be living with her twin sister.

I was happy, internally. I didn't wish to rent the villa out to a family with kids since they draw on the walls and I have to renovate the house all over again. But seeing that two mature women will be staying there, I didn't see much of a problem.

I told her I would be willing to rent it out to her. The rent is 500,000 KRW. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and asked me to reduce it.

I convinced her, that the house was completely furnished with cupboards, a bed, table, chair, everything she requires. Mentioning that she agreed to it but wanted to have a look at the house.

I asked Sungjae to bring in the keys to the house and handed them to her. Then she gave me 500,000 KRW and said that since a new month is beginning the next day she has decided to move in today itself. Money was all that mattered to me, so I didn't care too much about it and agreed to it.

I gave her a receipt of the money she paid and she left.