Chapter 38

"It's just.... I'm in love with Jungkook."

I couldn't find the right way to tell him so I decided just to be honest and up front about it.

I could feel his body tensing up as my grip around him tightened and I could feel how he tried not to.

"I should've known." He whispered, sounding as if I had ripped his heart out of his chest.

"It was so obvious." He chuckled half-heartedly.

"I'm sorry, Taehyung." Feeling the bitter tears dwelling up in my eyes, I hugged him even tighter.

"It's okay..."

So we just stood there for the rest of the ride, holding each other like there was no tomorrow.

As of right now, I felt a sense of guilt towards Tae, for not being able to like him.
I hadn't known him for long but I did really like him and thought the world of him, I just couldn't be with him when I wanted to be with Jungkook.

I hated having to 'friendzone' him but what else could I possibly do. I couldn't lie to myself and go date him.

I was almost immediately taken out of my trance when he pulled away from my embrace.

"We're at the bottom now." He smiled sadly and patted me on my back as we walked out of the small booth.

We stood outside in the mild warmth, contemplating what to do now.
"Want to just go home now?"
"Yeah, I'm a bit tired now." I smiled, trying to push away the awkwardness I felt.

---

His hand graced mine several times as we walked home, not that he seemed to notice it. It was nice actually feeling safe when walking home to me and my moms apartment at a darker hour.

I haven't felt that in a while, always walking with a purpose and the keys between my knuckles.

Some of the tension had disappeared by now but still lingering in the air around us like an annoying fly.

A part of me was shocked Taehyung would possibly like someone like me.

I wasn't nearly as attractive as him or the popular women on campus.
Nor was I charming, charismatic or just memorable at that. I never had been...

What did he actually see in me? What?

"We're here."

"W-where?" I looked up, confused at his words.

"At your apartment complex, silly." He chuckled, the pain briefly disappearing from his eyes, only for a few seconds though.

The light from the lamppost reflected on his skin, only accentuating his perfect features and skin. He did truly look stunning.

I couldn't help but to smile at him.
"What are you looking at?" He smiled back.

"Nothing."

We just stood there, smiling at each other before he patted my shoulder.
"You should probably go inside before it gets cold." I nodded slowly and walked the large glass doors.

As I was about to open the door, he said something.
"Wait."

I was confused so I turned around to look him in the eyes.
"I know it's not my place to say but whatever you do, don't date Jungkook.
It might seem like it's the jealousy talking but it's not. Jungkook will just break your heart and Jennie will resent you forever."

I opened my mouth to say protest after an eerie moment of silence but he beat me to it.

"I know it may seem like Jennie's okay with it but I promise she's not. There's a reason she won't let Nina near him.
Just whatever you do, stay away from him." I was beyond stunned to say something and felt the words die on my tongue.

"Goodnight, Y/N." With that, he walked away and I let him without saying anything.

First when he was completely gone, I said something, "But-" I looked around but he really was gone so I just went up stairs to my moms apartment.

It was already quiet when I carefully opened up the door so I went into my room and prepared myself to go to sleep.

But what Taehyung said still lingered freshly on my mind as I pulled the cover over my body.

Something inside of me didn't want to admit it but I knew he was somewhat right. No, that wasn't right, he was completely right.

Someone like Jungkook was bound to break my heart, I didn't have a doubt about that, it was bound to happen. The question was just when.

When was I going fall in too deep?
But it felt like I already had.

Way too deep...

But what I couldn't figure out was why he said it. Why did he say it?
Was he looking out for me? I sure hope so.

Or maybe it was jealousy? No, it probably wasn't as he specifically told so, but there still was a chance.

The voices in kept going on and on about reasons but it didn't get me any closer to an answer, not at all.

I turned around on my stomach and groaned into my pillow because of the irritation.

Why was it so hard to figure it out?

---

"But since it was so fucking hot outside, we decided just go inside as it was cooler inside and chill." Jennie explained her date with Joy. It was practically everything she talked about. She truly was smitten.

I couldn't really focus on the, even though I really wanted to, but what Taehyung had said a couple days ago still lingered on my mind.

I was with my friends chilling in Jennie's  house but today I wasn't going to sleep there for once.

"Mmh, that sounds nice." I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.
"I know right? It really was." She smiled brightly.

We were all 4 sitting on her bed, chatting and having fun.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Nina tapped me on my shoulder and whispered into my ear, making sure the girls wouldn't hear.
"Oh yeah, I'm fine." I half-heartedly smiled.

*Knock knock*

"Miss Jeon, Ninas taxi's here."

"We'll be right out." Jennie spoke softly.

We walked outside to the car and said goodbye to Nina. As the car disappeared down the road, I said something.

"Well I probably should get going too."

"Are you sure?" Soyeon asked.

"Yeah."

---

As I was walking down the road to the bus stop, having just seen Jennie and Soyeon walk inside when I spotted Jungkook in their garage, putting a bag into his black Porsche.

Feeling intrigued by him, I walked over to him. "Hey Jungkook, what are you doing?" First now he noticed me, eyeing me as he closed the car door.

"I'm going to a festival."

"Alone?"

"Yeah."

He stood up properly and smirked at me.
"Wanna join?"

(Author note: Currently screaming, crying and throwing up because I got tickets to see Blackpink in December! I'm so excited!!!!)