Chapter 4: Befriending Myrtle

After your Charms class, Hermione took you on a school tour, and in the daylight, you realized the sheer size of the place.

As you caught your breath, you and Hermione found a seat in the courtyard. Other students were enjoying their lunchtime, chatting and playing Gobstones with their friends.

Hermione, fanning herself due to the distance you two had covered, turned to you and asked, "What do you think, Y/n?" You glanced around the spot where you were seated with Hermione.

"Well, this school is much larger than my previous one. I wish I had come here earlier to explore and become familiar with the whole place," you stated, running your fingers through your hair to freshen up. Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Oh yes, it's a shame you missed out on one of the most enjoyable aspects of studying at Hogwarts—the Yule Ball," she said, her face blushing slightly.

"We've heard about it, but my old school wasn't keen on participating in physical activities with other schools. They were more focused on academic achievements," you replied with a touch of bitterness in your voice. Playing Quidditch was never an option, as your classmates and professors considered it a waste of time.

"Here at Hogwarts, you can learn in any way you like. It's great to combine education with fun, don't you think?" Hermione stood up and adjusted her hair.

"Absolutely," you replied with a smile.

"Shall we go? Lunch must be ready by now," Hermione offered her hand, and you took it. The two of you made your way to the Great Hall. As you entered, you noticed that students were seated separately at different tables. During lunchtime, students from all houses had the freedom to choose where they wanted to eat. The noise level was quite high, and Filch, the caretaker, had to intervene every five minutes to quieten things down.

"So, how was the tour?" Pansy asked as you and Hermione settled down at the Gryffindor table.

"It was amazing; Hermione gave me all the necessary information. She's an excellent tour guide," you replied, and Pansy handed you a napkin. Hermione blushed, her smile widening.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," she said, and everyone at your table, including the other girls in your class, began to eat lunch. The boys were seated at the Slytherin table, having been politely asked to leave by Pansy and the other girls.

The other girls were quite protective of you. They wouldn't let a single boy interrupt your conversation.

Before heading to dinner, you excused yourself to use the bathroom. Unfortunately, you didn't ask Hermione about the location of the public restrooms, a mistake on your part.

Feeling too shy to ask anyone, you decided to find it on your own. After a few minutes of wandering, you eventually stumbled upon a bathroom. The door creaked as you pushed it open and entered.

To your surprise, there was no one inside. The tiles appeared worn out, and the marble floor was dark and stained.

In the distance, you could hear faint moaning and crying sounds.

"Hello?" you called out. "Is someone there?"

The moaning and crying abruptly ceased, replaced by the sound of rushing water and banging pipes. Then, with a sudden force, the door flung open.

"Who's there?!" a shrieking voice echoed through the bathroom. A ghostly figure appeared before you, hovering in the air. It was a girl with pigtail ponies, thick round glasses, and a tattered uniform.

"Hello, I'm Y/n," you greeted her with a friendly smile. Taken aback by your approach, she retreated into one of the cubicles.

"What do you want?!" she snapped.