Kabanata 7

Masking Unmasked

Class unexpectedly dismissed early. The instructors suddenly had an important and urgent meeting they need to attend, by that, everyone's class stopped in blink.

As early as they could, our classmate left the classroom in a hurry. Leaving the classroom with me, Shaina, her two dogs, Mildred, and some classmates of us who purposefully left themselves behind to fix and clean the room.

I was busy minding my own business; fixing my notebooks and pens inside my bag. When I heard Shaina called me. I didn't look. I heard her but then, I am wearing my props— an earphone. It would be obvious if I turn to her with my earphone's on.

"Can she hear me?" I heard her.

I continued fixing my bag.

"Naka-earphone, Shaina. Tawagin ko ba?"

"Tawagin mo. Be nice. We'll bring her with us."

"Masyado pang maaga, Shaina."

"So? She doesn't know us here and isn't a good thing to let her know as early as possible who we are? And it's not like I want her for long to linger with us. Isang buwan lang yan sa atin."

"Are you su—"

"You want me to count?"

"Okay. Chill, Shaina." I heard a slight tremble on Burgos' voice.

My teeth gritted. Her real color are bursting already?

And just seconds passed and Burgos' in front of me. Marahan kong tinanggal ang earphone ko at kunwaring may pinatay na music sa phone bago siya pagtuonang pansin.

And by now, looking at how they brought me here, to an abandoned impounding area; lots of broken and old cars— I don't know what's going with their heads, but I'll play dumb.

"Uh, anong ginagawa natin dito?" I nervously asked as I looked around cautiously, of course, every reaction counts in fake unless I get serious with them.

Malakas na hampas ang sumalpok sa likod ko. Halos marinig ko ang paglagatok ng spine ko, hindi ko inaasahan 'yon kaya isang beses akong napalakad paharap, dinagdagan nalang ng dalawa pang hakbang upang magmukhang lalampa-lampa.

What the hell are those hands? Ang bigat. Literal masakit.

"Anong ginagawa natin dito, guys?" I added when I slightly recovered from that back attack.

Shaina's right arm encircled to my left arm. I looked at her for a while with a bit of irritation. This freaking girl, the audacity of this girl! She even jumped and shrieked as we are currently walking with the broken cars side by side to us. It's all rusty and the surrounding looks haunted, in a way that everything's covered by a thick web and dust.

I looked carefully to what my vision can sight. Everything here shouts trouble, I can see and sense it already.

Besides, it's obvious. Why would they bring me here? To eat? To be friends with? It's obviously either ganging me up or purely going to watch or see something that entertaining for them for me to see.

Shaina then let go of me and lead the way. I act poutingly and looked at Burgos and Alvin that is behind me. I saw them instantly looking around as if I didn't see them looking at me, more on observing me.