Denial

Eddie Munson and Steve Harrington had avoided each other for as long as anyone can remember. People always just assumed it's because they had an argument in the past that was never resolved or that they just didn't like each other. They never talked, always avoided each other in the hallway, never even made eye contact. That's the way it's been for 12 years.

Unknown to others the two boys had a secret. You see, when they were younger, they were inseparable. They went everywhere together, sometimes that resulted in people thinking they were gay.

Eventually, the boys parents found out about their closeness and immediately separated them. They didn't want queer children in fear that they'd be run out of town. Since then, the boys have been ordered to avoid each other at all costs and to never ever fall in love.
However, in the summer of '86, they had no choice but to talk.

Graduation party, everyone was invited. The night was clear and the party was busy with excitement. A smaller group which consisted of Robin, Vickie, Billy, Fred, Nancy, Jonathan, Argyle, Eddie and Steve decided to play 7 minutes in heaven.
"You go first Stevie." Robin smirked at Steve. She knew what she was doing.

Steve rolled his eyes and grabbed the bottle, spinning it round. He could hear his heart thumping in his chest, his mind was racing and all he could think was not Eddie not Eddie not Eddie. And surprise surprise, it landed on Eddie.

The group murmured as Steve and Eddie rose, not making eye contact and heading to the wardrobe. The door locked behind them.
A full minute passed before one of the boys decided to speak.

"Hey." Eddie mumbled, a blush spreading across his face. Thank god the room was dark.

"Hey.." Steve replied hastily.

Another awkward silence followed for around two minutes before Eddie began again.
"So..how have you be-"

"Dude look, I don't want to do this and I'm sure you don't either. Neither of us are gay, our mums said so. And even if we were, which we're not, we'd be sent to some kind of weird conversion camp and then-"

Steve felt Eddies soft lips quickly brush against his cheek which shut him up.
Steve looked at him in confusion a blush covering his cheeks. He was thankful the room was dark.

They didn't break eye contact and they both realised just how beautiful each other's eyes were.

"Steve. I know that we haven't talked for a long time but I've been in a state of denial since we were told to not be around each other. Man, I really want to be friends with you again because I think I'm in lov-"

This time Eddie was the one interrupted. But now it was Steve lips meeting Eddies. The kiss was tender at first but then became more passion filled as the boys tried to get back all they missed while away from each other. Eddie pushed Steve against the wall as their tongues fought for dominance. Steve's arms were pinned against his head and he finally let Eddie take the lead. Steve pulled away quickly and said:

"I love you too, Eddie. I always have."

Eddie was about to kiss him again but then light shone through the door making the boys jump apart.

"Alright kiddos, times up." Robin smirked once again.

She knows what she did.