Beautiful

A camping trip. Days full of laughter and fun and nights overflowing with spilled secrets and happy whispers. The navy blue sky contrasted with the bright stars, the moons subtle light gleaming down, lighting up Steve and Eddies faces as they looked to the endless sky.

"Did you know that most of the stars were looking at right now are burnt out? But because of the distance and the speed light travels we just don't see it yet.." Eddie mumbled, turning to face Steve. His eyes shone, pools of caramel swirling round.

Steve grazed his hand against the others, "really? That's fascinating.."

Both the boys were tired but neither wanted to close their eyes, in fear that they'd never feel this peaceful again.

"One day I hope I go out just as beautifully... the light slowly fading to a dim glow, then nothing.." Steve gestured to the stars lazily yet his voice seemed full of longing.

Eddie looked at the other man beside him, his heart full of pain but his eyes full of love and admiration. He couldn't bear the thought of his Steve dying. But the way he described death was so...beautiful.

"Steve! Steve wake up please!" Eddie shook the man beneath him, praying he'd open his eyes, or move or anything.

The fight with Vecna was over and everyone seemed fine. That was until they got back to Hawkins...Steve just collapsed.
It turns out that during the battle a shard of glass ended up lodged in Steve's abdomen, causing him to bleed out.

Eddie sobbed as he cradled Steve's head begging for him to just do something. Steve's eyes flickered open and Eddie gasped. "Steve? Steve?!"

"Woah woah..calm down Ed's.." Steve whispered hoarsely.

"You're going to be ok, ok? You'll be ok.." Eddie insisted trying to hold back tears.

"Nah man... I'm sorry.." Steve began to falter and cough. "You have to promise to take care of our little nuggets ok?"

"No nonono. You- you can't!" Eddie shouted, his voice cracking.

Steve put a hand to the others mouth. "Promise me..."All Eddie could do was nod slowly and weep. "You'll be ok...we'll be ok.."

Eddie looked at his love, his eyes filled with sadness and soul crushing remorse. He breathed a shaky breath and leant down to kiss Steve's head. A single tear slipped down Steve's cheek as he smiled, his body went limp.

Yet another star had burnt out. So beautiful, yet so sad..