Chapter 19

Steve leaned his head against the bathroom stall door and exhaled.

Sometimes he wished he had Eddie's life, free without knowing the parents who created him. It was a horrible thought, but it was there all the time.

Especially when my parents pull crap like this.

He closed his eyes.

I should probably call him. Explain this.

If he doesn't already hate me for ghosting him.

But he couldn't bring himself to stand up again.

Every time that he thought about leaving the washroom and facing the waiting room again, he felt sick.

Maybe it was because his dad almost died. Or maybe it was the way his mom acted afterwards, so excited to have more time away from Steve.

Probably a mixture of both, to be honest.

Her favourite cocktail:

A little bit of abandoned Steve and a dash of 'just married and on vacation" bullshit quality time.

Steve scoffed.

They probably pretend that I don't exist when they meet up with their rich, golf-playing, super-couple friends.

Eddie would understand what he was going through.

Steve knew that his uncle was a great man, but he still disappeared a lot, much like Eddie himself.

"Well," he said to himself. "I guess I have a phone call to make."

He stood up, dusted himself off, and made his way out of the bathroom.