Chapter 6

PRAKRUTHI

'Today??? So...so early??? I thought you would stay for a few more days!!!' Dad looked worried. I looked at Kedar who stood there with his standard stoic face without any expressions. How does he manage to keep this consistency?

I looked at dad and said
'Dad... Actually Kedar has an important meeting tomorrow so we don't have a choice!'

'But we planned your wedding reception Prakruthi...Kedar!' Sharadha aunty spoke up and I looked at Kedar. And he is still without any expression.

Dude!!! Atleast answer your mother!!!

Ughhhh!!!

'Actually aunty Kedar told me this is a really important deal! We had such a grand wedding and this Satyanarayana Vrata as well...I don't know if it's really that necessary? I mean...there is already a lot of money been spent so-'

'But Prakruthi...'

'Mom...We have to go. And I think we have had enough of all these rituals and functions!' Kedar said in a crisp tone leaving Sharadha aunty slightly low

And that's when we heard an unexpected voice...
'I....I can go to Bangalore if Bro is ok with it.'. Knowing who it was I didn't wish to respond but Sharadha aunty was quick.

'You learn to first take responsibilities of your own personal mess. Then lend a hand to your brother.' and without a word further she walked away from there leaving us in a bitter silence. He took a step closer to Kedar and said

'Bro I know everything about the project, I can manage if you wish to spend some time with Prakruthi.' and I was pissed. I wanted to walk away when Kedar said...

'First...It's no longer Prakruthi. It's Prakruthi Vanni (sister-in-law) and second and most importantly...stay away from me and my life'. I was shocked at the way Kedar spoke up for the first time. I looked at him and he still looked the same. Expressionless! Yet I noticed how his brown eyes went a shade darker. Neil was definitely hurt by his brother's words. He was way too attached to his brother. Kedar was his role model. I'm sure his words have hurt him a lot. I didn't want to be the reason for the two brothers seperation but then I wasn't at fault either. Neil denied this marriage at the nth minute not me.

Just like how Kedar was pissed with Neil and Neil was trying to talk to Kedar, my sister Avanthi was trying her level best to talk to me. She even attended the Pooja today expecting I will talk to her but I avoided her however she kept calling me continuously and kept sending me multiple messages trying to explain the situation. Yet another time my phone was ringing and it was her. Finally getting annoyed I picked the call and went to the balcony of the room I was staying in and yelled at once

'Stop calling me Avanthi! Don't you understand I don't want to talk to you. Why are you doing this? Sending chocolates and sweets via Pranay. I don't want you to involve him in this Avanthi. He is just 15 please!!! And more over I'm not angry upon you. I did this because I wanted to save that home. And I wasn't in love with anyone and I'm not as pretty as you are so I know there wouldn't be a love marriage in my life...if not this it would have just been yet another arranged marriage. I'm not you Avanthi...I'm not as tall or as thin as you are...I'm short...I'm fat...I don't know to dress up like you...I can't walk wearing high heels...I don't go to parlour...I still love stitching my own salwar kameez instead of wasting on brands...I still do shopping in commercial street and I still love to eat spicy chats and local ice candy than branded pizza and ice creams and no I don't have class!!!

So it doesn't matter if it's Kedar or anyone else... Atleast dad's house is safe...his self respect is intact, he is happy that I am settled and even I am happy I can live in my Bangalore. I can work and earn my own bread. I need not end up being just someone else's wife Avanthi.