Chapter 9

KEDAR

Her mouth was wide open and she had stopped crying and I heaved a sigh of relief but looks like that didn't last longer because next thing I know is she started screaming hitting her legs to the cupboard to and fro while whining her hands in the air.

'You stupid electricity pole Nayak! Who do you think you are? How dare you place me on the almirah! What do you think I am? Some 5 year old that you want to punish or your grandfather 's old suitcase? Put me down you beast!!! You monster!!! Down down nowwwwww!!!' she kept yelling while I kept both my hands on either side of the almirah and stepped closer to her.

She kept beating her legs which were now hitting against my shoulders and chest. She wasn't ready to listen to me so in one go I held onto her calf muscles to stop moving and she froze.

She's so tiny.......... And cute!!!

'You will get down from that almirah only if you behave like a good girl and stop acting like a immature kid. Just listen to me. You misunderstood what I was going to sa-'

But she was too quick and she interrupted me saying
'Who the F do you think you are hunnn??? Just because I'm short you CANNOT put me here on this almirah and you are not my dad that I'd listen to you...just put me down nowwww' she shouted more and I was irritated so in one go I squeezed her knee and she froze because my huge hand kind of brushed against her thigh. I didn't intend to. But what can I do she's so tiny.

She went silent and I simply looked into her eyes and said...
'I know you are an independent individual. And I want you to know that I also appreciate your solidarity as a woman and understand when you say you don't want my favour. I just want you to know that your father wanted me to keep you safe. He spoke to me before the wedding and all that he asked me was to keep his daughter safe and secure because apparently he thinks you still are a 21 year old kid.' and she scowled saying

'I am not a kid ok? I am a grown up woman who certainly knows her roles and responsibilities!'

'You are and I understand that but let's accept the fact that you are still slightly childish!'

'I am nottt! If I was I wouldn't have agreed to marry you at the nth hour. I thought a lot and took this call!' she argued and I pressed my fingers against forehead and said

'I am not doubting your maturity levels here Miss Kamath. You are much more caring towards your family and it's a quality so rare. I don't think anyone would do what you did. I mean we read that in novels and watch it in tv and movies but in real lives people don't swap life partners like that. But you did! You may have had feelings my brother yet you still agr-'

'I didn't have any feelings for any man Mister Kedar Nayak. In fact I think this is one factor that we both match up well. Although I'm a bollywood buff, a book worm and a go-gaga over romantic cheesy stuff but I do that because I don't believe that happens in real life. I have seen the world and I know people can be cruel! Men want perfect women...Tall, thin, sexy, pretty, smart for the world dumb towards them...it's a whole fucking checklist out there and no I don't qualify there or shall I say I'm not interested in qualifying that damn checklist.

I am not hot! I am not pretty but I'm intelligent and I'm hardworking.

I am not sexy! I am not popular but I'm smart enough to get through in my campus selection and would soon start to pay my education loan and the loan I took from you for saving my father's home.

I am not good in sports nor could I learn Karate or Taekwondo like Avanthi but I can stitch and that helped me pay my fee for my Bharatnatyam classes and also my Carnatic singing classes which I didn't want my dad to be burdened with!