Chapter 32

PRAKRUTHI

I walked down the staircase only to find the entire family having breakfast together. The minute Sharadha aunty saw me she came quickly towards me. I smiled hesitantly.

'How are you feeling Charda (child)? I heard you were down with a fever last night. It should be the changing weather!!!' saying she touched my forehead and neck examining me while I was confused. My eyes found Mukta Vanni who simply signalled me to play along and I nodded.

'Thankfully!!! You are good today. Now...come here... nothing doing...you are having a hot breakfast and then you are taking some rest ok? We have a huge function coming up this weekend and I want my daughter in law to enjoy it like my other daughter in law right Mukta, Sanskriti and Pattu?' she asked and I noticed both Mukta Vanni and Sanskriti were smiling hesitantly but Pattu as well was aping them. That was alarming!!!

Mukta Vanni behaving that sophisticated is digestible but Pattu...the Prarthana Nonstop Nayak not uttering a word was a red flag. She wasn't even looking at me properly.

What happened last night?

I slowly walked towards the table and took a seat. There was everyone except him. Now this was getting more and more creepier. Rudra Anna, Omkar Anna, Shivansh Anna... including Neil looked hesitant. Gauri Aunty and Damodar uncle cracked some jokes and my mother in law laughed her heart out but strangely everyone else was faking it.

This isn't normal.

'Vanni can you please tell me what happened last night?' I asked Vanni and she simply bit her lip saying

'I don't remember much Prakruthi...I was with Pattu...she wasn't really well...all we know is what we heard from Neil... Sanskriti and....your husband.' she said and I gulped.

Sanskriti had gone shopping for the saress to be gifted to folks coming to Pattu's baby shower. So my only go was Neil.

I looked around and noticed Neil was sitting on the terrace garden on a phonecall. He looked worried and tensed but the moment I entered he abruptly switched off the phone call.

'Ummm I...I hope I didn't invade your privacy!!!' I asked him hesitantly as he smiled saying

'Ummm No Prakruthi...Ummm I mean Prakruthi Vanni...'

'You can call me Prakruthi....Neil... I wouldn't mind!!!' I said and he smiled

'Ummm Neil...I know I was squashed last night!!! But really can you tell me what happened last night?' and Neil gulped.

'Ummm you...you could ask Ken Bro!!!'

'He isn't home!!!'

'Ummm yup!!! He...he will be home soon... he's in our bungalow... attending an important meeting!!! Once he's back you-'

'Neil please...I don't have the time to discuss this puzzle!!! It's going round and round merry go round!!! I need to know what happened last night!!!'

And Neil nodded and began telling me everything and I was shocked beyond words.

'This is all I know Prakruthi!!! After this bro took you home and after that what happened could be known either to you both or to Rudra Anna or Omkar Anna!!! Shivansh and I were supposed to handle all elders so you know they don't see you like that!!! Hope you understand!!!' and I was shocked.

Was I that drunk? I don't remember a word.

'Ummm We are not the right people Prakruthi!!! I mean it's between you husband and wife!!! You know it's...private!!! And above all...I'm not very comfortable discussing last night ' saying Omkar Anna walked away leaving me in splits and I knew Rudra Anna was my last resort. Before he walked away I held his hand saying