Chapter 49

PRAKRUTHI

Today I feel like a jackfruit. Yep!!! I know is a weird comparison but indeed I do relate to its popularity outburst today.

Jackfruit was always our underdog fruit gem which was loved and adored throughout the country but today west declares it to be a superfood and boom now everyone likes a jackfruit. So much so that they ask for its snacks, chips and sweet dishes too. It's like it has got this celebrity status overnight.

This is exactly how I felt when I stepped into office premises. My initial shock came when the receptionist addressed me as 'Ma'am' and then when people who wouldn't even pass me a glance started wishing me Good morning and I was even more confused but the ultimate moment was when my co interns...the girls who bullied me got me coffee saying

'Prakruthi Mam do you want some cookies? We are going to the pantry!!!'

Believe me I wanted to spit out the coffee. Even Amit who would give me sarcastic replies had gone silent and Dharam looked super excited about my special treatment. He kept telling me all day about how lucky he feels being my friend. I initially thought that someone drugged the entire office staff but when Kripa Mam explained me that all this is because now I am addressed as Mrs Kedar Nayak.

And honestly I didn't like this special treatment. I am my own person. I want to let everyone know that I'm just yet another professional like they all are. Just because they know I'm his wife I don't want them treating me special.

'Mam do you want some pastries...we are going to the cafeteria!!!' said Megha giving me her fake smile and I was now getting annoyed. We were sitting in the meeting room to have a status meeting about K-Shot's progress and expecting Kedar to join us anytime but in the meantime Megha had already begun her drama.

Just then Shankar Sir walked in and decided to discuss about the testing reports of the software. I belonged to the development team so I began giving my inputs and weirdly everytime Dharam had his arguments and opinions but this time he nodded to everything silently.

I lost my calm that very moment.

'Guys can we please stop it! This is getting on my nerves!' I snapped at them all. Kripa Mam tried to hold my hand trying to calm me but I nodded a no and spoke up

'Folks I know you guys might have never imagined me to be your CEO's wife and you might be thinking that Oh this is easy for her or She is here to simply get her degree and then a job. All this because I'm the wife of your boss but each one of you and infact everyone on this floor needs to understand that yes I am your boss's wife but he is also my boss in this office.

I'm just another employee like you guys! Without a special treatment!!! Tell me you guys have seen us working for last one and a half months has Mr Nayak ever treated me special or favoured me?

Dharam he has always appreciated your ideas and Megha you may not like me but I really like your designing skills girl and Amit yes Mr Nayak is my husband but that's just outside this organisation. He isn't our direct boss and we still are following the company norms where I am not working under his umbrella and my immediate bosses are Shankar Sir and Kripa Mam and that wouldn't change.

Guys you bullied me and that was wrong but what you are doing now is worse. I'm just another employee like you folks and just because I'm someone's wife I won't be hired as an employee after next one and half months. I will be hired only if I'm good at my job. So please guys let's keep this thorough professional. I hate it when the floor gives me a special treatment. Least I can expect from you folks is to behave normally with me.' I said and I noticed everyone's body stiffened as they looked past me and I turned around and looked at Kedar.