Chapter 50

PRAKRUTHI

My hands started shivering and tears started rolling down my cheeks. I could faintly even hear what that man was trying to say but couldn't gauge or understand a word after the words 'accident' and 'emergency care'. My body threw itself on the sofa in the living room and I don't know for how long I was in that numb state. I felt like my head was spinning. I looked around and the house looked weird to me. I don't know what I was thinking but my legs didn't move.

After a few minutes it hit me.

He had an accident!!! He isn't home on a Diwali night because he met with an accident. He won't come home now. It isn't time to celebrate with him, he won't look at your saree and appreciate you, he won't eat your cooked meal tonight...or maybe anymore...what if something happens to him??? What if he d- and just before that thought arrived my mind I slapped myself and shushed my brains.

'Shutup Pakku. Nothing... nothing will happen to him. Remember he's your Tatya Vichu...he is born to scare people. But he cannot scare you. Remember???' but my hands were still shivering and I felt my throat drying up. I gulped down water from the jug kept on the table nonstop.

Get up Prakruthi. You have to get moving. He ...he had an accident.

Wait but should I call ho-...No!!! Pattu is going to be admitted tomorrow. No!!! Then??? Colleagues??? Neighbo... neighbours don't talk to us ...then then...and I started searching for numbers on phone and my eyes started going blank...

I didn't know whom to call..my mind wasn't working. I wanted to see him. He can't leave me like that? My mind was behaving insane.

That's when my phone started ringing and I saw Laxmi's number flashing on the phone and I picked the phone in one go

'Prakruthi... darling are you okay??? I got a call from Venkat that he received a call from hospital. Listen to me...Soham is on his vacation and Venkat is in the US...I'm here...I will come to the hospital... I'm there ok baby...shall I come to-' and I couldn't help but burst out crying loudly. My cries reached the sky as my eyes looked at the diyas lying unlighted and my house which was decorated with miniature lighting looked like a morgue to me. The saree was making me suffocate and my chest was paining.

'Laxmi my chest...My Kedar...My heart will explode...'

'Prakruthi...Shhhhh baby...drink drink some water first...I'll come and get you...I'm on my way from home...' and I didn't understand how to react. Suddenly flashes of Mom's dead body lying on the floor and a crying me was coming infront of my eyes.

'Will I loose him Laxmi??? God...God has never been very kind to me... he's took away my favorite people...first my mother...then he seperated me from my sister and now if Ked-'

'Shutup!!! We don't even know what has happened to him Prakruthi...you can't behave like this Kanna(child)' she said and I suddenly recalled our moments recurring back.

I remembered how much I fight with him for the silliest of the things...how I kept calling him Tatya Vichu, Raven bird and what not when I could call him so much more...his stupid logic about love..I didn't even kiss him from so many days...I didn't get a chance to feel my emotions....what if I was falling for him??? Am I falling for him???

What is my life without you Kedar??? Will I survive???

'Prakruthiiiiiiiii breathe!!!' I heard Laxmi's voice and I snapped out of my thoughts.

'Drink wate-' and before she could continue I stood up in one go.

'I need to see him Laxmi...I'm coming to City Hospital Marathahalli...you please reach directly to the hospital' I said and quickly picked my purse, stuffed my card into it. I began looking out for some cash in the cupboard and started fishing for some cash and I got a few thousand Rupees...